• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sterling silver wrist inlay

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a time that Muzzloading Builder's Supply had a limited selection of sterling silver inlays.

A quick check of their site doesn't seem to show any but if you called them, they might have what you want.

Don't be surprised if they don't carry it though.

http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssup..._id=8252023.5090&product=Inlays&user4=Saw Cut

More than a few years ago, I bought some sterling silver inlays from them. That was when sterling silver was at about $5.50/ounce. Now with it at over $20/ounce might be too costly for them to mess with.

Sterling silver around black powder smoke can quickly turn it a dirty black color that needs constant polishing. Just something to think about. :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use coin silver for most of my inlays. I buy old silver coins that are in ratty condition for just their melt value. Hammer them out flat to the desired thickness and get out the jewelers saw. For German silver, which resists tarnishing I will use nickles as long as the inlay isn't over-sized.

Hi Kenny,
Rio Grande (www.riogrande.com) sells silver ovals, rounds, and sheet. By the way, I use fine silver rather than sterling. Sterling has 7.5% copper, which is why it tarnishes so quickly. Sterling was created to make coins and tableware because the copper gave it more strength and rigidity, features not really necessary for most inlays.

dave

Clay Smith offers this interestingly beautiful sliver inlay. I believe he charges $75.

]Link[/url]

I was fortunate to have bought a large sheet of silver before the tremendous increase in prices. Don't know what kind of silver it is, but it doesn't tarnish....of course I don't keep a LR that long to find out. My only use for the silver is to make cheek piece stars. Thanks for the "tip" on the different types of silver.....Fred

its for a fowler.
thanks for the good info on silver supplies. i have made them from old coins but wanted something fancier than my skill level at making. i saw the one on clay smith site. was hoping not to have to mortgage the farm to buy one :grin:

thanks zonie. MBS doesn't have sterling anymore. neither does track. i always wipe my brass and shiny stuff with a dirty patch anyway. then handling it brings out a nice patina.

I just purchased a strip of sterling silver from RioGrande jewelry supply. It is 6" X 1-1/8"X 19 gauge and with shipping to me was a total of $39.xx. Silver prices have dropped so it might be less now. It is "dead soft" and I cut out an oval for a thumb piece on a rifle I am building. I also made 4 nails out of the stuff to hold the thumb piece on worked fine.

Muzzleloader Builder Supply has one Silver Wrist inlay, its for a fowler from the 1750's to 1790's, Item no. 22145, and its $45.00. All the rest of their inlays are in Brass or German Silver. But I would give them a call, Like someone said they might have some that they don't show, ie. left overs from old stock.

i ordered some silver from rio grande and will be making my own,
thanks for the help.
Kenny

Sorry. 1 missed it. I am pretty sure I have some fowler silver wrist inlays. Probably English. I will did them out tomorrow and get some photos.

Back