• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sources for brass and silver inlays?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varga

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Log Cabin has a few. I'm looking for brass and/or silver stock inlay sources in order to see what all is available. Interested in stars, half-moons, etc. I'm not equipped toolwise to make my own. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Log Cabin has a few. I'm looking for brass and/or silver stock inlay sources in order to see what all is available. Interested in stars, half-moons, etc. I'm not equipped toolwise to make my own. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'd also check suppliers for the jewelry industry; silver wire, etc. Bet they have stuff. !

While the ML'er supply places often have many stock shapes and sizes, quite often (meaning most of the time) those pieces will need to be modified to get the ultimate size and shape you want. Also, their supply of sterling silver is going to be quite limited, if it exists at all. For that you'll need to make your own from sheet stock. I would look at a place like Rio Grande Jewelry Supply there.

Because sterling is so expensive, (but ism't relative to the value of a finished gun) I emphasize the prudence in making yourself some paper patterns first. Cut out each piece and lay or tape it on the gun. Then lay all of those on your sheet stock to see if you can get them all out of that piece of metal. You'll be surprised how far you can make a single 3" x 3" sheet go.

For sterling silver "nails" (for things like estrucheon plates) I use sterling silver earring studs (also from Rio Grande), pre-drill the hole with a small wire bit drill (like a #72), scuff up the shank, and super-glue them in place. Haven't lost one yet, but I'm still young.

Last edited:
Back