• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacing gold inlay?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our 1850s German Jeager has had gold inlay in the top of the barrel that is now gone. Anyway I can put it back? Maybe somehow with gold leaf that could be pounded down into the inlay?

Attachments

• Gold Inlay Barrel (3).JPG
    Gold Inlay Barrel (3).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • Gold Inlay Barrel (5).JPG
    Gold Inlay Barrel (5).JPG
    798.6 KB · Views: 0
I forget who made it, but there was a product that looked like a gold inlay. I think it was a powdered bronze. They also made on for a silver inlay. It went on kind of like nail polish. I used both the gold colored and silver colored products on a couple of guns. I used the gold for some engraving I had done on a work semi auto. That was about forty-eight years ago. The gold is still there slightly. I carry that particular gun every day. The bluing went quicker than the inlay coloring.

The gold came in a red and white box. The silver was in a silver- grey and white box. Bronze It, Silver It, or something very similar.

Our 1850s German Jeager has had gold inlay in the top of the barrel that is now gone. Anyway I can put it back? Maybe somehow with gold leaf that could be pounded down into the inlay?
By looking at the image, Marplot, I suspect that your incising may originally have been coloured with gold wash; lying somewhat lower than the surrounding area meant it was protected from the elements for longer. A true inlay requires the edges of the preparation to be undercut to keep the gold in place, very expensive. When a true gold inlay falls out of its prepared setting, no sign of gold remains. Before I became an English and Geography teacher, I did a stint of some twenty-three years in the military as a dental technician, where gold casting for crowns and inlays was my bread and butter. I ran your image by our school's art department, and most suggested that you give the incising a good clean with a stiff toothbrush, then apply a high-quality gold wash to the recessed letters.

High quality gold wash can be purchased at a good art supplier.

Cheers, Pete

Treasure-Gold-Wax-Classic-Gold-and-Acrylic-Modelling-Paste-with-stencil-over-watercolour.jpg
gold wash.jpg

By looking at the image, Marplot, I suspect that your incising may originally have been coloured with gold wash; lying somewhat lower than the surrounding area meant it was protected from the elements for longer. A true inlay requires the edges of the preparation to be undercut to keep the gold in place, very expensive. When a true gold inlay falls out of its prepared setting, no sign of gold remains. Before I became an English and Geography teacher, I did a stint of some twenty-three years in the military as a dental technician, where gold casting for crowns and inlays was my bread and butter. I ran your image by our school's art department, and most suggested that you give the incising a good clean with a stiff toothbrush, then apply a high-quality gold wash to the recessed letters.

High quality gold wash can be purchased at a good art supplier.

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 284309View attachment 284311
Thank everyone for your replies. You are correct. It is not incised. I have incised on several of my more modern shotguns. There is an undercut where the gold inlay is held in place. I had some fall out and it took a goldsmith to replace it.

The answer is a gold wash. Had not heard about this product. I guess I need to clean out any wax or oil, brush it on and perhaps clean up the above surface.

I guess I need to consult with Google and YouTube. I’ll be back and thanks again!

Brownells has or had a kit. Also check midway USA
I went down to my “Man Cave” and dug out this stuff. I used years and years ago. Where it came from; possibly Brownells? The battery is just for size comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_0786.jpeg
    IMG_0786.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Back