• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Silver wire for inlay ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When doing your silver wire inlays, do you prefer german silver or the softer fine silver wire ?
Thinking .010 thickness.

Thanks in advance
Bill

Hi,
I don't like German silver for anything. You can use fine silver ribbon and it stays bright longer than Sterling silver because it has only trace copper content. However, the down side is it is softer than Sterling and when you file and sand it flush with the wood, it is best to file or sand along the length of the wire rather than across it, which can leave a slightly ragged, almost smeared appearance if the paper or file are too coarse. Sterling silver is tougher but it does tarnish faster. I use both fine and Sterling depending on my objectives for the art work. Here is an example in which thicker fine silver forms the edges of the clouds giving them a glow against the grayer, thinner Sterling.
yXf6boY.jpg

The next example shows thick fine silver ribbon that was filed across it with a medium coarse file to make it look a bit ragged like flames.
2Ntdq3Y.jpg

Here is an example mixing thin Sterling silver wire with fine silver inlays. The bright white inlays pop out against the grayer Sterling, which will become more pronounced as the Sterling tarnishes.
XgBsIuj.jpg

With regard to your question about thickness, it all depends on your objectives. If you are just adding simple accents to carving, 0.008"-0.010" is fine. The thickness will make it look more noticeable. If you intend more complex designs, I suggest thinner wire 0.005"-0.006". If you intend to copy British or European work, then you want the thinnest wire you can get. Usually you have to cut strips from sheet to get really thin stuff in the 0.004-0.005" range or have a rolling mill.

dave

Hey Dave. Thank you very much for sharing your wisdom and great advice. From the pictures, you do some incredible work.
I an just adding some details around some carvings and inlays.
I did try some German silver in the past, and it seemed alitlle hard and didn't want to follow the contours of the stock very well. So I am glad to hear that the fine silver is a good option also. With it being softer, it should work better for what I will be doing I believe.
I'll post some pics when I get started.

Thanks again
Bill

German silver work hardens too fast. Brass is the same. Fine silver is just the ticket. This is a close copy of Christian Oerter's work. It has a combination of brass and fine silver wire work. I buy my sheets in 6" X 6" sheets and cut my own ribbons with scissors. 38" colerain .50 swamped barrel. Larry Zornes lock, my castings.
DSCF2255.JPG
DSCF2256.JPG
DSCF2257.JPG
DSCF2264.JPG
DSCF2266.JPG
DSCF2267.JPG

Hi Mike,
Those are real beauties and they show that thicker wire (0.008-0.010") is good for a lot or most American long rifle work. Thinner wire is needed for British or European work.
No question that Oerter was one of the best American artists with metal wire.
dave

WOW ! You guys are true craftsman and artist. I tip my hat to ya.

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom and the great advice.

I will post some pics when I get started, but will definitely fail in comparison to y,all work. :ghostly:

Hi,
I don't like German silver for anything. You can use fine silver ribbon and it stays bright longer than Sterling silver because it has only trace copper content. However, the down side is it is softer than Sterling and when you file and sand it flush with the wood, it is best to file or sand along the length of the wire rather than across it, which can leave a slightly ragged, almost smeared appearance if the paper or file are too coarse. Sterling silver is tougher but it does tarnish faster. I use both fine and Sterling depending on my objectives for the art work. Here is an example in which thicker fine silver forms the edges of the clouds giving them a glow against the grayer, thinner Sterling.
yXf6boY.jpg

The next example shows thick fine silver ribbon that was filed across it with a medium coarse file to make it look a bit ragged like flames.
2Ntdq3Y.jpg

Here is an example mixing thin Sterling silver wire with fine silver inlays. The bright white inlays pop out against the grayer Sterling, which will become more pronounced as the Sterling tarnishes.
XgBsIuj.jpg

With regard to your question about thickness, it all depends on your objectives. If you are just adding simple accents to carving, 0.008"-0.010" is fine. The thickness will make it look more noticeable. If you intend more complex designs, I suggest thinner wire 0.005"-0.006". If you intend to copy British or European work, then you want the thinnest wire you can get. Usually you have to cut strips from sheet to get really thin stuff in the 0.004-0.005" range or have a rolling mill.

dave
That is absolutely stunning work! Thank you for sharing that.

Hi,
yXf6boY.jpg

2Ntdq3Y.jpg

XgBsIuj.jpg

dave
The artistry is amazing! You never see this type of "folk art" or "arts & crafts" featured on TV or in magazines because "A Gun" is involved! The general culture doesn't like anything with "guns" involved. Beautiful, graceful, work!

Back