• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SMR Photos Please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I finally managed to work out some financial wrangling to be able to order a Kibler SMR. I’m still rather conflicted on wood choice and would love to see the finishes everyone here has done on theirs. So if you have photos of your SMR please share along with finish details!
I apologize in advance if this thread has already been done previously.

Hi Everyone,

I finally managed to work out some financial wrangling to be able to order a Kibler SMR. I’m still rather conflicted on wood choice and would love to see the finishes everyone here has done on theirs. So if you have photos of your SMR please share along with finish details!

Hi Everyone,

Here is a .36 caliber I used to own. Nice maple stock. Was one of the older ones with the longer barrel. 46" I think. Sold it to fund a custom build but should have kept it. Oh well. Really nice rifles. I plan on another one some day and I'm gonna get the fanciest maple money can buy.
20201226_140324_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20201226_140324_HDR.jpg
    20201226_140324_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Here is a .36 caliber I used to own. Nice maple stock. Was one of the older ones with the longer barrel. 46" I think. Sold it to fund a custom build but should have kept it. Oh well. Really nice rifles. I plan on another one some day and I'm gonna get the fanciest maple money can buy.
View attachment 254571

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the double post. Don't know what I did wrong. Mental I suppose

.... I’m still rather conflicted on wood choice and would love to see the finishes everyone here has done on theirs. ...
Everybody and their brother is doing curly maple. So do walnut or cherry. I did one in walnut and I have no decent pics handy, but Kibler sent me a beautiful piece of walnut and I get compliments on it every time I take it out to the range. I'm thinking of doing my next build in cherry.

Mine is in a rare "bubbly" ash, just one tree and they're all long gone, but plain ash can look nice too. I used a weak ferric nitrate solution to get a nice orange tint to the wood without going too dark, but you could go much darker with the treatment and get a very warm brown out of it. Steel hardware is polished and color case-hardened except for the lock, and screws are rust blued.

20230219_175532.jpg

20230219_175608.jpg

20230219_175713.jpg

20230219_175608.jpg

20230219_175643.jpg

Mine is in a rare "bubbly" ash, just one tree and they're all long gone, but plain ash can look nice too. I used a weak ferric nitrate solution to get a nice orange tint to the wood without going too dark, but you could go much darker with the treatment and get a very warm brown out of it. Steel hardware is polished and color case-hardened except for the lock, and screws are rust blued.

View attachment 254587

View attachment 254588

View attachment 254589

View attachment 254590

View attachment 254591
WOWSER, Ian that is very unique. I like that a lot.

.32, 46", barrel, walnut with a little figure, Tru-oil, the sunlight made the walnut look lighter than it actually was. I sold this rifle because my 73-year-old eyes couldn't see the rear sight. I had cataract surgery a year after I sold the rifle and could see rear sights again, oh well, it went to a good home. I narrowed the comb a little and took the wrist a little further back into the butt stock as well as adding a toeplate and molding lines.

kibler.jpg

Not a Kibler; but my own, from a blank. The wood is Red Maple, which I believe is what Jim Kibler uses... for the Maple stocks of course. This stock is scraped and burnished; not sanded. I used two good coats of aquafortis; blushing only after the second coat. I rubbed it back with purple Scotchbrite, then applied a coat of Homer Dangler's reddish brown stain. I rubbed that one back and applied two coats of Laurel Mtn Forge,s Maple stain. The final finish is 6 or 7 coats of Permalyn sealer. And finally, Johnson's paste wax. Each piece of wood has its own personality and characteristics. So it always takes some experimenting to get the color I want... or close to it. With a kit you may, or may not, have some wood to do that with.

Attachments

• 10 1.jpg
    10 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 10 2.jpg
    10 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 10 4.jpg
    10 4.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 10 5.jpg
    10 5.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Hi Everyone,

This is my second SMR I used red transtint and alcohol for color then Tru-oil.

Attachments

• 20230717_100826.jpg
    20230717_100826.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Everybody and their brother is doing curly maple. So do walnut or cherry. I did one in walnut and I have no decent pics handy, but Kibler sent me a beautiful piece of walnut and I get compliments on it every time I take it out to the range. I'm thinking of doing my next build in cherry.
Colonial Riflesmith built me an SMR on a sweet piece of cherry. But do not look for much figure. Figure will not be cherry's gift to you. Let it oxidize in the sun and the warmth and color will be deeply satisfying.

Latest posts

Back