• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

slugging bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2bp

40 Cal
Reaction score
I know on anmentionable I can drive soft lead thru to slug the bore and measure it. Easy when the barrel is open on both ends

But what about on a percussion? If one were to remove the breech plug is it a straight bore diameter shot thru?

I know on anmentionable I can drive soft lead thru to slug the bore and measure it. Easy when the barrel is open on both ends

But what about on a percussion? If one were to remove the breech plug is it a straight bore diameter shot thru?
Just drop a short brass rod (you could add to few wraps of tape near the ends of the rod for more barrel protection) down the bore, then push your lead ‘slug’ partially down the bore, leaving 12” or more between it and the brass rod. Repeatedly tilt the barrel up and down until the sliding brass rod drives out your slug.

Just drop a short brass rod (you could add to few wraps of tape near the ends of the rod for more barrel protection) down the bore, then push your lead ‘slug’ partially down the bore, leaving 12” or more between it and the brass rod. Repeatedly tilt the barrel up and down until the sliding brass rod drives out your slug.

That's one way to do it, but you can also just measure it with plug gauges.

I find it easy to slug a bore. I take a piece of 1/4 twenty all thread and center it in a wooden dowel slightly under the bore, wrap the dowel with masking tape until it is a snug fit. ,leaving about an inch of the all thread sticking out with about 3/4 inch of bore above the dowel. pour in some lead let set, and then remove the slug by threading a nut onto the all thread with a washer to protect the crown. Just remember to wax the bore first so the lead doesn't stick.

I find it easy to slug a bore. I take a piece of 1/4 twenty all thread and center it in a wooden dowel slightly under the bore, wrap the dowel with masking tape until it is a snug fit. ,leaving about an inch of the all thread sticking out with about 3/4 inch of bore above the dowel. pour in some lead let set, and then remove the slug by threading a nut onto the all thread with a washer to protect the crown. Just remember to wax the bore first so the lead doesn't stick.
That would work extremely well with cerrosafe I’m thinking. I’ve made casting of my breech loading carbines. Easy peasy with its low melting point.

^^^This^^^

Back