• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with 1858 Enfield clone.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, since Patrick @ lodgewood said he couldn't help, I probably should have sold it and bought something else, but am too stubborn about stuff sometimes, so spent probably as much as the rifle cost, buying and trying used molds,
View attachment 303970
View attachment 303915
Cast and tried a number of them today.
View attachment 303916
Here where the results.
View attachment 303917
View attachment 303918

View attachment 303919
View attachment 303920
View attachment 303921
View attachment 303922
First choice is the Rapine, three touching, Second choice is the Lyman, both are 0.585".

Now, I just need to get it to shoot to point of aim, or modify the non-adjustable sights, to point of impact.
Did you ever find out your bore size? The pix posted are prime examples of what happens when the bullet isn't sized properly, especially when the Rapine is suddenly the ticket and nobody else is close. Check the diameters of the bullets as cast and that should at least give you an idea of where things stand.

Get it right and wonderful things happen.........
parkerhalegroup1.jpg

Did you ever find out your bore size? The pix posted are prime examples of what happens when the bullet isn't sized properly, especially when the Rapine is suddenly the ticket and nobody else is close. Check the diameters of the bullets as cast and that should at least give you an idea of where things stand.

Get it right and wonderful things happen.........
View attachment 304233
Finally got together with Johnathan who used the pin guages and told me it guaged to 0.5805". So... should I order a 0.579 sizing die?

Finally got together with Johnathan who used the pin guages and told me it guaged to 0.5805". So... should I order a 0.579 sizing die?
Ok, ordered. The Rapine 585510 shoots really well, but requires heavy thumb pressure or a short starter, and I was told that wouldn't be allowed in a Skirmish.

Ok, ordered. The Rapine 585510 shoots really well, but requires heavy thumb pressure or a short starter, and I was told that wouldn't be allowed in a Skirmish.
Well, the 0.579" sizing die came in, but I had already given up and sold the 1858 patterned two band enfield, and bought an 1853 pattern Armi-sport. Bore size 0.580" so used the 0.579" sizing die, and went to the range. Went down the bore with just the weight of the ramrod, and I think it shot well at 50yds.
20240412_185710.jpg

Well, the 0.579" sizing die came in, but I had already given up and sold the 1858 patterned two band enfield, and bought an 1853 pattern Armi-sport. Bore size 0.580" so used the 0.579" sizing die, and went to the range. Went down the bore with just the weight of the ramrod, and I think it shot well at 50yds.
View attachment 312054
Great start. Time to begin tweaking the load. What was your load for this group?

Great start. Time to begin tweaking the load. What was your load for this group?
Mold was Lee 90479 flying đź—‘, 0.581", 482gr. Run through the.0.579" sizing die, and lubed with 3parts Beeswax, 2parts olive oil.
20240413_095403.jpg

On top of 50gr FFg with CCI musket caps.

Latest posts

Back