• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skirmish Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The only local place around me who sells black powder only sells one brand of powder each year. This year they have Skirmish Powder. Has any body used this powder for shooting lead balls?
It is all I can get local now.

Rumor has it that "Skirmish Powder" is a lower grade of powder produced by GOEX.

That could make it dirtier to shoot than regular GOEX but I doubt it is anywhere near as dirty as the ELEPHANT powder many of us were forced to shoot years ago. (Elephant Powder was all that was sold locally in many areas of the Country).

(For those who never heard of it, Elephant Powder was made in Brazil. Madmonk, one of the true black powder experts in the world, found that Elephant was charring the wood without removing the bark first. That and other poor methods contributed to its tendency to badly foul the bore when it was shot.)

It's been 2 or 3 years since I bought it, but Graf and sons, gamaliel shooting supply, wideners, and many others will ship blackpowder to you. The hazmat fee is $25, but the powder is easily 5-10 dollars cheaper a lb than other means to get it locally. Buy 6 and you're starting to save.

It's also easy to find that hard to get 4f powder if you use it.

My understanding of Skirmish Powder is that it is for the Reenactors. Reenactors don't use any wads, or bullets, or even ram. All they do is pour it down the barrel and cap and shoot. So since this is what they do, they don't need the higher/better grade of powder. And my uderstanding is that the powder is a mix We in the reenactor community call it floor sweepings. I won't use it, and neither will alot of other reenactors. I find it is dirtier( in every sense of the word) than "pure" Black powder.
I would rather use Triple7, or PyrodexP than this manure. There that is my review on it.

Latest posts

Back