• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder and mice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in the country in a pasture, the mice get in all the time. I’ve had several cats over the past few years. I wish the Coyotes around here would eat more mice than they do cats, chickens and rabbits.

I think there may be something in the plastic making process that mice seem to like. We know they sure enjoy the insulation on electrical wiring in automobiles.🤷
Exactly, I've heard some plastics are plant based.

My camp trailer had mice one winter when I had some utensils made of a rubbery type plastic, the only thing in the place chewd up. I cleaned up, removed those items and didn't have that problem again. I know of two people who had rodents chew up the wiring in their vehicles, expensive repairs. It could well be the material used in the powder can was plant based.

I think there may be something in the plastic making process that mice seem to like. We know they sure enjoy the insulation on electrical wiring in automobiles.🤷
Some of the insulation on auto wiring Is soy based, I don't know about other plastics although I read an article about using corn to make plastic.

I was going through my powder this morning and a mouse had chewed through the bottom of one of the cans in the back. Has anyone else had any problems with mice getting into their powder? I would have never thought that they would chew into it, it must smell good to them or something. I am just glad that I found it as soon as I did. Only lost just a little bit of it into the carpet.
No all of mine are stored in metal cans, or a metal cartridge box.

Outdoor cat sleeps in the barn or on the kitchen porch. Mice, rats, opossum, baby squirrels, moles, voles not often seen. Hawks and owls do their part too. Cat is a big brute. Guess that's why the raptors have not taken him.

If I remember correctly, $4,255 rodent damage to our 2009 RAV4. I thought they were gonna total it at the time. The dealer had a Sienna van in the shop for the same reason and about same damage total.

I don't know if they work, but we do put those little bags of repellent you can get at the farm stores in the vehicles now.

Let me tell you about cats. One of two cats around and you will almost not notice. Just the occasional dead mouse or bunny ears laying right outside the door. But when the neighbors next door start feeding cats outside because "poor starving kitties". Then you will have a dozen or more cats around. They are hard on rodents and birds. They also end up using the mulch around the house as a litterbox with piles of cat manure. And the garden. And the raised garden beds. The stink! Every outdoor cushion on the porches is covered in cat hair. We also suddenly have a possum and coon problem. Because they also eat cat food.

In all honesty @Coolhand , after closer review,
Why did you post this photo-chop? What is your intent.(?) :dunno:
I spent 26yrs making plastic. Black plastic doesn't have shiny metal edges, and mice don't leave curled edges with chew marks.

You guy's call me out as much as you want. But that photo is as fake as the shiny spot on the lower right side of the bottle and a metal chewed hole..

Callin out,,the truth.
I'm the bad guy, and @Coolhand is cool.
Never post
When you're toast.

You don't think a varmint with a mouth full of Sulphur would be a goner. They must be some tough little things.

i store my powder in an old camper refrigerator. never have any rodent problems with it.
My wife is the Rodent master here. she fills those big peanut bottles full of little green pills and cuts a small hole in the lid. only time we have a mouse in the house is if one of those is empty.
this summer she was unable to get the small pellet sized stuff and had to buy some about the size of jaw breakers.
i watched a chipmunk empty one in one day. little sucker would stuff one in his cheeks and grab another and high tail it around the house to the wood pile. never saw him eat one.
yesterday i started taking wood from a new rick. broke into his stash. it be raining green balls!!!!!

Ok, just thinking about a new flintlock mouse trap....a little powder for bait, the trap snaps shut flint to frizzen, and kaboom!....mouse parts all over the kitchen!!

Maybe not a great idea....
I actually have an old mouse trap from dixi gunworks that is a little brass barrel with a cap ignition.

I have never used it. I’ll have to remember where it is. Looks like this.
IMG_0349.png

I haven't thought about that Johnny Horton song in ages.

My grandpa first played that for me when I was around age 7. I thought it was the greatest song ever. Of course, that age my other favorite song was Snoopy and the Red Baron. About 48 years later and I can still recall the lyrics, "we fired our guns and British kept a coming, we fired once more and they began to running..."

Thanks. I love those memories. He was a great man. He trapped for a living in Idaho in the Bitteroot area for several years as a teen. He was in the Navy and went around the world -- first pic I ever saw of a topless lady was when I found my grandpa's box of snapshots from when he was in Fiji in 1935 -- for some reason my mom took those pics away. He served his country in World War II, raised a family, started a business, and went from picking cotton as an 8 year old to being part owner of a golf course in his 60's. An American success story, like a million others -- what a great country.

Thank you very much.

That has to win the reference of the year award.
u have a good GRANDPAW.cherish your memories of him.sounds like he was a good man

I’ll try to dig mine out and get some pictures. I’ve always been afraid to try it. It has a crack that goes all the way through on the hammer from where the pivot pin goes through to the outside edge. It use to serve as a conversation pice on the living room bookshelf.

Back