• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder and mice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda confused by your tactics. What is your intent? I have no idea how you can see a metal can in a plastics Olde Eynsford can.
There is no "tactic" involved. My intent is was bring attention to the fake photo.
Black plastic chewed,, does not show shiny metal edges, even if the lighting is/was direct. Black does not reflect.
26yrs making plastic. Retired 2023.

Mouse/Rat chewed wires and why;
The extrusion of PVC plastic, not the making of, but the extrusion of PVC,, requires a flow agent that assists the management of even current 21st century technology.
Oh, and wire coatings are PVC,
The least expensive of those flow agents is called Stearic Acid, with the formula CH₃(CH₂)₁₆CO₂H.
In laymen terms, animal fat, the old grey mare.
You can purchase Stearic acid for candle making in multiple shops globally.
Starving rodents, will detect those fats with their sensitive nose. They will chew incessantly, finding flavor without sustenance.
That has been common knowledge for, 60+yrs?
No Rat, No Mouse, can chew a metal reflective surface in a full black PVC plastic bottle. The photo is fake.
There is no tactic.
If gossip ensues reality then I apologize to all.

Mice are bad. Catastrophe here in an elevated deer hut. Old arthretic hunter got up in his deer hut , fired up his propane heater. Mice had chewed through the fuel line during summer. His wife stood and watched the fire ball and the wood structure burnt up w/husband . Sad and traumatic loss of an old hunter , husband. Mice bad.

Shawn Woods, who has the You Tube channel 'MouseTrapMondays' does all kinds of rodent trap and repellant testing. I can say that he doesn't find much that really works.

One exception was mint oil:

It works. I was having trouble with mice/rats eating the hoses in my cars and started a program of mixing 20 drops of peppermint oil in a quart of water and spraying down the engines every 3 months. Over a year now and no sign that they have come into the engine compartments.

It works, ,,a program of mixing 20 drops of peppermint oil in a quart of water and spraying down the engines every 3 months.
Yes, an over powering cover scent works.
Rodents are prey creatures. And as such they are aware of predator.
Predators have scent. It's an instinct of prey/predator to be aware of scent.
Any scent that is too strong to smell anything else, is unsafe for them.
Both prey/pred will leave an area that has that condition.
I use dryer sheets, it ain't rocket science.
Guess what? Olde school Moth balls? Does still work.
When to change? If you can smell it, it's still working.

Last edited:
I should tell ya the story about the mouse that nested in that `79 650 Yamaha exhaust that one winter,,
, long story short, he walked away, slowly,,

i store my powder in an old camper refrigerator. never have any rodent problems with it.
My wife is the Rodent master here. she fills those big peanut bottles full of little green pills and cuts a small hole in the lid. only time we have a mouse in the house is if one of those is empty.
this summer she was unable to get the small pellet sized stuff and had to buy some about the size of jaw breakers.
i watched a chipmunk empty one in one day. little sucker would stuff one in his cheeks and grab another and high tail it around the house to the wood pile. never saw him eat one.
yesterday i started taking wood from a new rick. broke into his stash. it be raining green balls!!!!!
Yes chipmunk store food first, then eat it later so it takes a while before it kills them. Had the same problem in my barns but they will die in time. One of my problems is that rat poison attacks rabbits,racoon , grounhogs they can eat it by the pound and come back for more

Yes chipmunk store food first, then eat it later so it takes a while before it kills them. Had the same problem in my barns but they will die in time. One of my problems is that rat poison attacks rabbits,racoon , grounhogs they can eat it by the pound and come back for more
Poison bait kills too many other animals. Ends up killing the raptors which are one of your best rodent control agents. Good 'ol snap traps (and my dogs) work well for me. Snakes too. Don't kill the snakes!

Yup, and pictures of me and my Ex wife look good too, (if you get them in the right light).
It's still a fake photo, that @Coolhand didn't even take, it's a 'share",,
This must be one of them pictures😂. “ Hey thats cans not plastic it’s metal”
IMG_0350.png

yup. we had a sow raccoon and her 4 mostly grown coonlets raiding the green pills for a while. they kept after it until they all died of lead poisoning.

This must be one of them pictures😂. “ Hey thats cans not plastic it’s metal” View attachment 277649
She's the one keeping him going; career politicians never seem to have any private life or interests to retire to. They all want to "go out" in office in order to grab all the attention. Dictators are like that, too; insist on staying in power forever, but history shows they all are human and will pass eventually.

In this one building in Iraq, our network started to deteriorate and finally became unusable. We found packet loss just from our room to the switch was basically total. Our "office" -- an old game butchering room when Saddam used it as a hunting lodge -- had the nicest wiring of any office on that base, everything in panduit (flat surface mounted conduit) and properly spaced.

We pulled off the panduit covers and suddenly mice went scurrying everywhere. Our cables were naked, in many places down to pure copper. There were little piles of CAT 5 insulation and nest debris for about 30' on 3 separate runs.

At ISAF HQ in Kabul, there was no problem with rodents. They had a catch, neuter, and release program for stray cats.

At another base in Kabul, we started to see mice everywhere. Then a mama cat moved into our logistics tent and dropped a litter of 4 kittens. Shortly, all the mice disappeared. One evening I went behind the logistics tent and mama was teaching one of the kittens to hunt. The mouse was long since dead, but the kitten would through the mouse in the air and then pounce on it as it landed.

...and the eco-whackos say we're the only species that hunts for sport. 🙄 Obviously, they've never seen cats.
"We're the only species that..."
"Humans are unique because..."

I'm convinced these are almost always plays to our vanity more than any scientific fact. And we need no more "reason" to hunt than those cats.

There is no "tactic" involved. My intent is was bring attention to the fake photo.
Black plastic chewed,, does not show shiny metal edges, even if the lighting is/was direct. Black does not reflect.
26yrs making plastic. Retired 2023.

Mouse/Rat chewed wires and why;
The extrusion of PVC plastic, not the making of, but the extrusion of PVC,, requires a flow agent that assists the management of even current 21st century technology.
Oh, and wire coatings are PVC,
The least expensive of those flow agents is called Stearic Acid, with the formula CH₃(CH₂)₁₆CO₂H.
In laymen terms, animal fat, the old grey mare.
You can purchase Stearic acid for candle making in multiple shops globally.
Starving rodents, will detect those fats with their sensitive nose. They will chew incessantly, finding flavor without sustenance.
That has been common knowledge for, 60+yrs?
No Rat, No Mouse, can chew a metal reflective surface in a full black PVC plastic bottle. The photo is fake.
There is no tactic.
If gossip ensues reality then I apologize to all.
You state that black does not reflect yet there are several areas in that photo that are clearly reflecting light. I think you just like to create conflict and have no idea what you are talking about.

The cats they make these days are just as deadly as the original predator God gave us to protect grain. I haven't heard of a mouse yet that became immune to razor sharp claws and long teeth. Now, if you end up with those massive Wharf Rats, you just need a larger caliber cat. A Maine coon will do in a pinch, but just go nuclear and get a caracal:
View attachment 277224
At up to 42lbs and the ability to jump straight up 20' to grab a bird in mid-flight, this is the premier predator for home defense. Just don't name him "cuddles."

=========
Kudos to Old Jeb, an honorable working cat who paid his way in dead rodents.
"Large caliber cat" Now that was just doggone funny there!! 🤣😅😆😁😂😂😂😂

Never heard of rodents attacking Black Powder, but they will eat nitro cannon powder as it is basically cellulose. We had an issue with this in Germany the 70s when several cannon charges that were stored in a forward storage bunker got damaged by rats. They had to be written off and a report pushed up the chain of command to demand replacements.

Some bored staff officer in an ammo branch decided to embroider the story and wrote a report concluding that the rats had eaten enough gun propellent (cordite) to have absorbed a significant amount of nitro-glycerine in their body to now pose an explosive hazard. He then went on to give instructions as to how the rats were to be caught using non ferrous traps and for the subsequent disposal of the bodies..

As I recall, the suspect rats were to be taken to a licenced demolition ground and disposed of by detonation by attaching a guncotton primer and a No 33 electric detonator to the tail and then covering them with two loosely filled sandbags.

Oh how we laughed...!

Never heard of rodents attacking Black Powder, but they will eat nitro cannon powder as it is basically cellulose. We had an issue with this in Germany the 70s when several cannon charges that were stored in a forward storage bunker got damaged by rats. They had to be written off and a report pushed up the chain of command to demand replacements.

Some bored staff officer in an ammo branch decided to embroider the story and wrote a report concluding that the rats had eaten enough gun propellent (cordite) to have absorbed a significant amount of nitro-glycerine in their body to now pose an explosive hazard. He then went on to give instructions as to how the rats were to be caught using non ferrous traps and for the subsequent disposal of the bodies..

As I recall, the suspect rats were to be taken to a licenced demolition ground and disposed of by detonation by attaching a guncotton primer and a No 33 electric detonator to the tail and then covering them with two loosely filled sandbags.

Oh how we laughed...!
Why am I not surprised at all. When these clerks and jerks have time on their hands it seems their prime mission is to come up with solutions to a problem that is non-existent in the first place.

Latest posts

Back