• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shipping problem UPS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once had UPS leave 25 pounds of bp on my front porch..... in a residential neighborhood.
And we weren’t home at the time, luckily it was still there when I came home..

That has been my only bad experience with them..and I have used them several times since.

USPS , is iffy at best... They will ship antique or muzzle loading parts/guns, but you may have too speak too the Post Master instead of the window clerk...

Fed Ex, I personally haven’t used that much
experience with...

Remember bp guns aren’t considered fire arms....

Manuals
DMM Revision: Mailing Firearms — Clarification
Effective November 7, 2011, the Postal Service™ will revise Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM®) 601.12.1 through 601.12.3 to clarify the standards surrounding the mailability of firearms.

These clarifications were prepared in collaboration with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), and neither expands nor limits the current requirements for the shipment of firearms through the U. S. Postal Service®. Prior to this clarification, firearms mailing options were only provided to the prospective mailer through an ATF contact. The primary purpose of this article is to provide clarity for those individuals seeking advice on the mailing of firearms and related items and to help reduce the number of questions submitted to the ATF.

Additionally, the Postal Service is providing guidelines for the mailing of air guns, which reflect reasonable practices commonly used in the industry.

Postmasters may provide these revised guidelines to firearms mailers immediately.

Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM)

600 Basic Standards for All Mailing Services

601 Mailability

12.0 Other Restricted and Nonmailable Matter

[Revise title of 12.1 as follows:]

12.1 Firearms

12.1.1 Definitions

The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:

[Delete current items 12.1.1a and 12.1.1g in their entirety and replace with the following.]

a. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include an antique firearm.

Black Powder is not considered an Explosive by the ATF. The rule should not apply.

I don't understand that, since UPS/FEDEX has a parcel contents box to fill out on their shipping forms.
Per fedex online shipping manager theres no requirement to list contents other than ORMD or Hazmat. You can request pick-up ($3-4) or drop off at a NON FEDEX shipping place (free).

Waited on 25# of bp coming from FedEx, tracked to delivery day, outside cutting firewood when truck showed up. All over tracking "Adult Signature Required", driver handed me the box and I asked about signature. "na, we're not doing that right now" .

I had a fellow employee rent a Uhaul Truck to haul a load of explosives from California to Texas, and he put on the manifest and bill of ladding that the cargo was Cosmetics, "after all explosives do improve the looks of some places!"

black powder certainly is considered an explosive by a.t.f. look at their website.
That is Black Powder is considered a low level explosive, and in loose form really a Flammable Solid and as required under federal law the appropriate shipping labels must be afixed to the shipping container. It is not considered High Explosive which you cannot ship through regular means. People are always getting low grade explosive/flammable solids like Black Powder mixed up with the High Explosive which is a whole different matter. My most recent purchase of BP see picture. My father was a licensed explosive handler and shipper under the BATFE for the Hell Fire Missle Project and I still have his books which are still valid.

Weird, I live in Massachusetts and back in November, I got sent the barrel and stock of my gun instead of the builder. I used a UPS to send the builder the parts, and when the employee asked what was in the package, I told them "Muzzleloader gun parts".

The employee said "Cool", put that on the label, and sent it out no issues whatsoever

Could be the guy you talked to. Several years ago I sent a caplock rifle I made to my son in another state. The UPS guy I met first said they couldn't send it w/o FFL paperwork. I pointed out that a muzzleloader is not a "firearm" by the 1968 law, but it took another UPS individual to confirm they could ship it, and they did.

Back