• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can you ship a percussion Sharps through the USPS?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if I was being sent a package with a VERY expensive collector muzzle loader in it that I would want it somewhere secure until I could pick it up. I bought an antique German reichsrevolver, 1892 dated- and I had to do the background check! Very strange!

Did you have to fill out a 4473 form?
Yes! Even after explaining it was an antique with NO available ammunition! It was a great deal($300) so I put up with it ! This dealer explained that since he entered it in his book, I needed to fill out the form and do the instant check… ok. Not a huge deal to me, guess he wanted to cover all bases, the atf is checking any and all sales records with a fine toothed comb right now.

I seem to be a bit late to the party here and I'm not playing the devil's advocate but,
Shiloh is very specific about their policies. Their policies are very explicit and are in writing when you order your rifle.
When you order it you are agreeing to their terms.
Yes, Lucinda Bryant is very curt. I've spoken with her a number of times, and she is always the same. Not necessarily my favorite person to talk with. But she is the person in charge of getting it done.
I own two of their '63 model Sharps. They are very good, and very well made.
I have also had 2 IAB 63 Sharps, and they were just fine. But the difference between a Shiloh and anything else isn't even a contest.
As for the FFL transfer, as has been said, it varies from state to state.
Many won't even charge to recieve it if they don't have to push paperwork on it. So, in some ways it's safer because you know someone will be there to sign for it when it arrives. So check around your area, and find out who's cool about it.
I have done it both ways, and the FFL/delivery is always a slam-dunk. No worries about porch pirates.
In the end, I'm sure you will not be sorry about your purchase.
The '63 Sharps is a very reliable rifle. It can get frustrating to learn the idiosyncrasies of their operation and maintenance, but we'll worth the effort.
Shiloh builds their product just like the original. They advertise it that way, and I've had the luxury of comparing theirs to an original, and they ain't lyin'. Probably even better due to materials and modern manufacturing processes.
You will not need to buy anything specialty made like "tubes" for cartridges nor even have to make nitrate paper for cartridges to operate it.
I can recommend that you are thorough in your cleaning practices and that you use antisieze compound on the underside of the gas check plate, cleanout screw, and nipple threads.
My best bullet Lube is made from jojoba oil and bees wax. I make it up myself, and it all depends on how stiff you want it as to the ratio mix.
Just that simple.
I hope that you really enjoy your new rifle.
-Happy holidays

Mine just laughs about what some are made to do, or think they have to do. Not a firearm, no form or paperwork to use, no background check….. just a text to come and get my package.
Like this not an issue but I and many others would rather not have others knowing what we have regardless of how secure the gun stores list is. To me requiring my purchase to be recorded by an FFL that isnt necessary would be a deal breaker.

I seem to be a bit late to the party here and I'm not playing the devil's advocate but,
Shiloh is very specific about their policies. Their policies are very explicit and are in writing when you order your rifle.
When you order it you are agreeing to their terms.
Nothing in the terms stated transfer through an FFL, so far as I can tell. Evidently this is a new thing, pushed on them from UPS.

Yes, Lucinda Bryant is very curt. I've spoken with her a number of times, and she is always the same. Not necessarily my favorite person to talk with. But she is the person in charge of getting it done.
I own two of their '63 model Sharps. They are very good, and very well made.
I have also had 2 IAB 63 Sharps, and they were just fine. But the difference between a Shiloh and anything else isn't even a contest.
As for the FFL transfer, as has been said, it varies from state to state.
Many won't even charge to recieve it if they don't have to push paperwork on it. So, in some ways it's safer because you know someone will be there to sign for it when it arrives. So check around your area, and find out who's cool about it.
I have done it both ways, and the FFL/delivery is always a slam-dunk. No worries about porch pirates.
In the end, I'm sure you will not be sorry about your purchase.
The '63 Sharps is a very reliable rifle. It can get frustrating to learn the idiosyncrasies of their operation and maintenance, but we'll worth the effort.
Shiloh builds their product just like the original. They advertise it that way, and I've had the luxury of comparing theirs to an original, and they ain't lyin'. Probably even better due to materials and modern manufacturing processes.
I have received the carbine. Fit and finish is fantastic. Unfortunately the loading lever latch does not lock back as it is supposed to. I have sent an email to Shiloh a few days ago but have not heard back from them.

You will not need to buy anything specialty made like "tubes" for cartridges nor even have to make nitrate paper for cartridges to operate it.
The percussion Sharps is designed to use combustible cartridges...what do you use for yours? I've made them from paper, linen, and used Charlie Hahn's cardboard tubes in my Pedresoli 1859.

Latest posts

Back