• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safe black powder storage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ddoyle said:
how to store it safely

I assume you want to know how to store it safetly in your home so that it does not pose a signifigant hazard to you, your family, neighbours, first responder..... Your in luck wise minds have figured it all out. Even luckier thier figurin came up with something niether onerous or expensive or infringing:

In Britian (IIRC) and in Canada (for certain) regs regarding safe storage are built around Underwriter's and Ministry testing. The results are pretty definitive and interesting (look em up if you care). For we non-vendors or large holders it comes down to this:

Build a 3/4- 1 inch plywood box. Use bronze/brass screws or nails and bronze/brass hinges/hasps. If you put dividers of 3/4 plywood inbetween each 1 pound container of powder it is remarkable how long the whole works will survive in a fire. With out the dividers it is almost as remarkable.

Lable the box clearly with the appropriate sympol/lable so that a firefighter can ID it easily and have handles so that it can be carried easily.

Aside from that follow what all the powder cans- manufacture websites and muzzleloading associations I have ever seen say about storage- out of reach of kinder, etc, etc.

As an aside why not just buy some better quality German powder for a couple- few bucks more a pound in the quantity that you need/want???? All nicely Packaged in 1 pound bottles. 100 bucks for 5 pounds seems smarter then $325 for more then you think you need. Less powder to store- More cash to buy powder in the future. Did I mention better powder
:wink:

Well, that sounds like fun.

I bought 5lbs of fffg bulk from the Winchester shoot. It came in a double grocery paper sack. It stayed in there, in a cabinet in my garage for a couple years, then I got some empty Goex cans and filled them and relabeled them.

Btw Hulk... where's the best place to get a steak? What you really want is a pork chop... lol.

Keep shooting.

I'd ask around for some factory empty goex cans as you can probably get quite a few on this site if ya ask. My buddy stores his 30 some odd pounds of goex in his garage refrigerator, in the freezer partition. I'd say that's a safe as storage as any and probably safer than most.
My 2 cents... :v

I know two guys who drove to a large distributor to buy BP. The purveyor reminded them that they could not legally transport more than 100# in their motor vehicle despite the Federal regulation allowing each person 50#, meaning if there were 3 or 4 in the vehicle, they still could not purchase and transport more than that 100#. They drove off with the Federal individual and vehicular limit.

The 100 lb limit is only if you are transporting it in commerce.

If I and 4 friends each bought 50 lbs for our own personal use, there is no limit on what we can transport in one vehicle.

Fleener

I am not saying that it did not happen and that the company did not restrict them. Just means that the company did not know what they were doing.

Fleener

necchi said:
fleener said:
I am not saying that it did not happen and that the company did not restrict them.
Re-Read it.
They didn't "restrict",, they reminded.
Big difference.

Restrict or reminded. The results were the same. The company did not know the regulations and were wrong. At least they error on the safe side and were looking out for their customers.

Fleener

excess650 said:
The purveyor reminded them
fleener said:
I am not saying that it did not happen and that the company did not restrict them.
fleener said:
Restrict or reminded. The results were the same.
Really?
Understandable,, isn't it?

Or are all of us supposed to be too stupid to understand "reminders"?
Does everything have to be absolute black and white as described on the internet?
Or is there/could there be some kind of,, uhm, a hint/reminder that we are all actually responsible for our own actions,,(?)

necchi said:
excess650 said:
The purveyor reminded them
fleener said:
fleener said:
Restrict or reminded. The results were the same.
Really?
Understandable,, isn't it?

Or are all of us supposed to be too stupid to understand "reminders"?
Does everything have to be absolute black and white as described on the internet?
Or is there/could there be some kind of,, uhm, a hint/reminder that we are all actually responsible for our own actions,,(?)

Not really sure what the problem is, but it seems clear something has you excited.

I am just trying to give factual information and explain how the transportation laws apply to an individual transporting black powder.

If you feel I am giving bad advice, please let me know and we can have an adult conversation.

Fleener

we can have an adult conversation.

BORING :rotf:

Dont ask dont tell. How many cops would even know what ya had in a bag of black stuff IF you got stopped? I will stick to UPS and they can take all the risks for me!

Latest posts

Back