• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Idea for Small Range Box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 48702

Richard Turner
Reaction score
I found these small wooden boxes at Army Surplus Warehouse. They were originally for the WWII telephone repeater. The wood is 3/8" thick with iron corners, rubber gasket seal, heavy duty steel hinge and latch. It appears that all hardware is mounted with brass screws. It's a little pricy at $29.95, but you couldn't build it for that. I'm going to put a vintage type iron folding handle on the lid, and might strip the box to see what the wood looks like under the paint. It will hold three 1lb Goex metal cans, or if you have some 1/2 lb oblong cans, it will hold 6 of the smaller cans comfortably. It comes with a metal bracket inside which is mounted with screws and can be removed. The one I received was dated 5/52, and measures approx 9" Tall x 6" wide x 7 1/2" deep (outer box dimensions). Inside measures 7" Tall x 5 3/8 Wide x 6 3/4" deep, this is not counting the depth of the lid which is 1 3/8" deep. Don't know if anyone is interested, but I've always been a sucker for old quality build wooden boxes. I weighed this one and it weighs 4.5 lbs. They also have some new vintage heavy glass stopper top 50ml (1.67 oz) vaccine bottles that would be great for oil or lube. If you get any of the stopper top bottles, they have corks, but the will not fit, I had to source some #1 size corks which fits the bottle, and found the corks on Amazon.

Wooden Repeater Box

telephonebox4__62554.1518540399.1280.1280__38349 (1).png
IMG_20230205_104917_313.jpg

They are both pretty cool. I like old things like that. Everyone needs a continer sooner or later.

Latest posts

Back