• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder RE packaging

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got into BP / muzzleloading 25-30 years ago and as did several others I’m guessing sort of took a hiatus from the BP when the inlines and different substitutes came along. Now I’m sort of backtracking and find that I have 4 or 5 older cans of Goex 2 and 3 F that are starting to rust considerably around the top and bottom seams. It’s been stored dry so I don’t think the powder’s compromised at all but I’d like to repackage it into better (plastic? ) containers. Anyone had to deal with this before and what are your suggestions? I use a lot of smokeless powder too but just don’t have any empties yet.

Well I still have some smokeless in the metal cans too so you’re right I’m not doing nearly as much as I used to. Old age and arthritis will alter your priorities!🥴
The soda bottles don’t seem durable enough but that’s a direction of thought that hadn’t occurred to me before. Thanks

The steel cans are probably okay on the inside. Black powder isn’t necessarily corrosive… it’s black powder fouling you need to clean after shooting.

I don’t know if anybody else does this, but I still have a few steel cans of black powder. I inspect them now and then and wipe down the outsides with a greasy rag. This seems to inhibit rusting.

With some trepidation, I could probably round up a couple of empty black powder bottles to send you, if you feel you need to transfer your powder to newer containers. My reason for concern is that it is extremely important that powder containers be properly and correctly labeled. You would need to come up with permanent, legible labels for the used powder bottles.

There are also container manufacturers out there who sell plastic, glass, and metal bottles and and containers of every description. I’ll try to find a link to post. New containers with proper labeling would be preferable to any kind of repurposed, relabeled bottles.

Notchy Bob

Well I still have some smokeless in the metal cans too so you’re right I’m not doing nearly as much as I used to. Old age and arthritis will alter your priorities!🥴
The soda bottles don’t seem durable enough but that’s a direction of thought that hadn’t occurred to me before. Thanks
Tupperware is sturdy.

This is what I was thinking of when I posted previously:

Berlin Packaging - 1 Qt Can.jpg
This is from Berlin Packaging, and they call it a 32 oz. Steel F-Style Can with 1.25in Alpha Cap, Item #1900T09, priced at $4.95 each. One like this would probably hold two pounds of powder. They sell similar cans in smaller (and larger) sizes for about the same price per unit. Just guessing, but the pint size would probably hold pretty close to a pound of powder.

If you want to re-package your powder, I think new containers are the way to go. Something like this would be my suggestion, but there are other vendors and other options if you want to pursue it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I got into BP / muzzleloading 25-30 years ago and as did several others I’m guessing sort of took a hiatus from the BP when the inlines and different substitutes came along. Now I’m sort of backtracking and find that I have 4 or 5 older cans of Goex 2 and 3 F that are starting to rust considerably around the top and bottom seams. It’s been stored dry so I don’t think the powder’s compromised at all but I’d like to repackage it into better (plastic? ) containers. Anyone had to deal with this before and what are your suggestions? I use a lot of smokeless powder too but just don’t have any empties yet.
The last batch of Goex came in plastic so that’s an exceptable container.
That seems to be the trend; but I'd think it's a high quality plastic, with some sturdiness.

Don't store powder in some random plastic container!!! Most plastics are very good at holding a static electric charge. All of a sudden you have a nice little bomb. The containers that powder comes in from manufacturers are made of a type of plastic that is designed to be anti static. Plastic containers originally used to for powder or some other explosive will be fine.

I wouldn't choose glass for horseback....but it serves me well in my reloading room. I'd be more nervous about static (which I am not) in plastic than glass randomly breaking.

Latest posts

Back