• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder RE packaging

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These I’m intending to use are empty Accurate powder cans. Should be fine. I’ve taken detailed pictures of the Goex cans, printed them off on card stock to be clear taped as labels on the new cans.
Now, that’s smart! Sounds like the problem has been solved.

I would have genuine concerns about putting smokeless powder in blackpowder containers, but this is the other way around, and the new photographic labels will make identification of the contents easy and unequivocal.

Goex and Swiss used to make decal-type logo stickers that they would hand out at shows or simply mail to you on request. I’ve used these to put on the outsides of storage boxes. However, these were just generic logo stickers with no way to indicate specific granulation or other details.

If possible, I would like to see a photo of the replacement powder cans or bottles with the new label. Just interested in how it turns out.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Should I start worrying about the amount of rust on these metal cans?

Powder Cans.jpg

Now, that’s smart! Sounds like the problem has been solved.

I would have genuine concerns about putting smokeless powder in blackpowder containers, but this is the other way around, and the new photographic labels will make identification of the contents easy and unequivocal.

Goex and Swiss used to make decal-type logo stickers that they would hand out at shows or simply mail to you on request. I’ve used these to put on the outsides of storage boxes. However, these were just generic logo stickers with no way to indicate specific granulation or other details.

If possible, I would like to see a photo of the replacement powder cans or bottles with the new label. Just interested in how it turns out.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
I’ll be most happy to oblige Notchy Bob. A cyber acquaintance is mailing me the cans and as soon as they arrive I’ll be making the switch. Stay tuned. 😀

It has been proven that static will not ignite coated BP. Bit Bill is right, the factory plastic bottles are anti static.

I suppose you don’t spend much time in labs.
Most flammables are stored in glass.
🤣 , Ya-but, most of us in the field aren't wearing lab coats/safety glasses or walking on level surface w/controlled environment.
Good point though, quality lab glass beakers is/are nice stuff, ✌️

I've gotten so clumsy, I just drop things. I think I've broken four drinking glasses in the past year. Fumbled a couple while doing dishes and my hand simply turned loose of at least one. My wife finally put all the glasses at the back of the cupboard and replaced them with plastic.

Fire and explosion risks aside, glass powder containers would just be a bad idea for me. Besides, I'm such a cheapskate I would mourn the lost powder that couldn't be salvaged.

Notchy Bob

I believe the old adage on NOT storing your powder in glass came, at least in part, from the bubbles in glass containers when made years ago. Sunlight could be concentrated by the bubble like a magnifying glass, resulting in a hot spot.

I have read this theory elsewhere and recall seeing this effect in the house with my folks restored 60+ years ago, which had some original wavy glass panes with bubbles.

I'm not going to read through three pages to see if it's been mentioned, but you can order just about any size and material, container you want on Amazon.

I like using dark brown glass, with a PTFE or silicone o-ring, for long-term storage, and a larger brass flask for powder that I'm currently using, and a smal flask to take with me .

I hate to bust in on a bunch of superstitious nervous nellies, but good grief some of you are confused and misinformed.

The HDPE powder containers are far from static free. Ever try to get the last teaspoon of Titegroup or Universal out of one? Yeah. Dryer sheets are your friend.

Electric sparks do not ignite BP.

A container of BP in a fire is a bomb no matter what it is made of.

The only real problem with glass is broken glas and spilled powder if you drop and break it. If there are ignition sources around that would set off a broken jar of BP, you should really reconsider how you're doing things.

If you drop and break a jar of BP and somehow it ignites, there will be a giant "whooomph" and likely you will be very singed from the toes up. But the powder granules will be loose and not packed together so it will not deflagrate like a bomb.

The only disadvantage to glass is its tendency to condense moisture from the air inside when the glass surface falls below the dewpoint. The water droplets will dissolve the powder they touch and cause clumping. Put dry powder in the container in a dry room and don't take it outside.

Back