• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Safe black powder storage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulk

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been answered before but I could not find it. I have a guy locally selling goex 3fg for $17/lb. I am going to buy 5 to 10 lbs from him but am uncertain what I can put the powder in or how to store it safely. I only have a single empty bottle of goex 2fg currently that I know is fine but that leaves me trying to put the rest somewhere. Can I use heavy duty plastic bottles, soda bottles, mason jars, or something else to store the powder in? Thank you all!

I have never bought BULK powder that I had to provide containers for , it always came in 1 pound containers. If I had to provide the container I would go to a paint store and buy some clean 1 gal. paint cans.

He has it in a large thick plastic/mylar bag that came directly from the manufacturer, goex. It's 25lbs total but I don't need that much.

That's a good price. It's $1.10 a pound less than you can get it from Powder Inc. at this time in 25lb lot. Buy it all and just shoot more :thumbsup: . Buy a case of mason jars to store it in. Or just store it in the original bag and keep filling up the can you have as you empty it.

If I buy it all from him, it is $325 for 25 lb which is only $13/lb. But I am not sure if I can swing that much at this point in time... so mason jars are good to go with keeping powder in?

Mason jars are NOT good for storing BP.

The new, clean paint can idea is a good idea if you don't have empty powder cans. The newer plastic powder containers are excellent in that they are non-static and won't rust. I've moved my older steel canned BP into newer plastic empties that I got from other shooters.

Plastic soda bottles, water bottles, etc aren't a good idea. You want non-static plastic, and preferably dark. The bags the bulk powder are shipped in are non-static much like electronic circuit boards were shipped in.

Store your powder in a cool, dry place and it'll be fine 100 years from now. At that price I would suggest that you buy the entire bulk case.

A bud tried something that appears to have worked just fine, even in our wet climate. He broke up a bulk batch into quart Tupperware-type food containers he got from Wallyworld or some such. If I recall correctly they came in 3-packs from the food storage aisle for not much money. He put them in a big garbage bag inside a cardboard box, added a couple of desiccant packs and sealed it. He's had that in his unheated barn for some time now without a single issue.

He just has the one bag that it all came in, told me I need to bring my own container/s to take what I want to buy. I may just end up taking it all but not sure if I can spend that much right now on it since I am also buying a like new Pietta 1851 Navy with a bunch of stuff (lead balls, flask, capper, holster, etc) for $160.

If you want a "one stop shopping" solution,
NEW Gasoline and Kerosene cans are made of the same Plastic HDPE anti-static,, as new powder jugs.
The only difference is color, shape and a spout.
A 2 1/2gal gas can will hold 10# of powder.
That will allow you to pick-up and transfer all 10# until you design a better idea

I can hear the guffaws already! OMG!! Put BP in a Gas can!!
Let me say again a NEW nice clean dry gas can. And I'd recommend finding some way to split it up soon,,

That's a great idea! I have a dry, cool, safe place to store it at my house. I just had no idea what to put it in. I am honestly still surprised that the manufacturer sends out these bulk orders in a big plastic/polyurethane bag instead of in bottles. Oh well. Thank you all.

You know, I think that there might actually be laws/regulations regarding the use of non-factory containers to store black powder in. I believe that there are laws regarding the re-sale of black powder these days too.

Might want to check those out, particularly if you don't know the guy you are buying from - I've heard rumors of ATF types running sting operations to snare muzzleloader shooters who aren't up to speed with these things. Don't know that for a fact, though.

At one point in the 1970s powder was hard to find. I bought some 25 lb. kegs and repackaged into one pound lots to sell in my shop. I used one pound freezer containers. At that time those were cardboard boxes with plastic bags inside which came with a twist tie to seal. Cheap and worked fine. Store in a dry location. Will keep indefinitely.

I think it is fine. I found this. Same or similar verbiage to selling firearms if I remember correctly.

This is from the ATF website.

"May I sell black powder without a license?

No. Anyone who engages in the business of selling black powder, regardless of quantity, must be licensed as an explosives dealer. [27 CFR 555.41(b)]

I then found a letter from the ATF stating as long as it was under 50lbs and used in antique firearms for sporting or cultural purposes it was exempt. So, not worried about it at all.

I purchased bulk power back about 30 years ago and finished the last of it two years ago. I was doing so much match shooting that I had more than a few dozen empty GOEX cans on hand. I repackaged the bulk powder into the cans. As far as gas cans go. Check and make sure they actually seal. Some cheap gas cans will leak/drip if flipped up side down. That will let humidity in. Some of the specialty hardware/paint stores sell one quart cans, the type that paint thinner comes in. dead ringer in shape for the old GOEX cans.

I am by nature a bit of a pack rat and I keep an assortment of used containers around for those special jobs like this.

For pete's sake, also make sure the containers are clearly labeled. Helped clean out an estate where the old timer stored all kinds of powders in anything and everything. Old medicine bottles, dish detergent bottles, even glass jugs and pickle jars. We did not know what any of it was, except probably smokeless for the most part., so nearly all was just dumped and hosed down the drain into the city sewer system. The guy who was given the task, dumped one container on the wet concrete and it turned out to be carbide. (calcium carbide, I think) That was an experience he won't soon forget. A fire did briefly flash above the drain.

Anyway, enjoy the good deal and be safe.

Elnathan said:
- I've heard rumors of ATF types running sting operations to snare muzzleloader shooters who aren't up to speed with these things. Don't know that for a fact,
Back it up,, or don't spread rumors.
In your case, just because your paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!

:hmm: I've noticed lately that a group of paranoids have been following me around. Can't seem to lose 'em. :idunno: :rotf:

Back