• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifleman's Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquach

32 Cal
Reaction score
I would love to have an original but in lieu of that this replica of the 1849 Rifleman's knife made by Cold Steel is a very well made and accurate reproduction. The unit it was created for was a new military idea at the time, the mounted rifleman. Being specifically NOT cavalry these riflemen were not issued or authorized carry sabers and the rifleman's knife was supposed to fill that role as an edged weapon for fighting from horseback. FYI it was well worth the purchase price. IMHO.
Cold Steel 1849 Rifleman's Knife.JPG

I’ve been considering one for a while now too. I have the 1917 Bowie and am VERY impressed so far. For the money I think they’re great.

I would love to have an original but in lieu of that this replica of the 1849 Rifleman's knife made by Cold Steel is a very well made and accurate reproduction. The unit it was created for was a new military idea at the time, the mounted rifleman. Being specifically NOT cavalry these riflemen were not issued or authorized carry sabers and the rifleman's knife was supposed to fill that role as an edged weapon for fighting from horseback. FYI it was well worth the purchase price. IMHO.View attachment 321942
Well it looks nice. I've bought some pretty good cold steel products over the years so I'm sure it is a decent knife. Didn't know they made this one.

I have a few older Cold Steel knives that are great. I haven't kept up with them in years. I did hear where they had a few rough years. Glad yours is a good one. Good looking blade for sure.👍

Thanks to all for the comments. The quality of Cold Steel products, from my experience, ranges from "ho-hum okay" to excellent. They manufacture knives all the way through the spectrum in a number of different countries so you need to be aware of that variety when purchasing. I have never had an issue with their high end stuff. The Rifleman's knife I posted was made in India and is high quality and well made.

Last edited:
I've never bought or owned a cold steel yet..

They have allot.

Back