• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aging a Confederate D Guard Bowie Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldNo7

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Now don't all too excited, as this isn't a great knife...
I'm not a builder, so I didn't put it in that forum, and stuck it here...

I recently bought a cheap $30 made-offshore D Guard Bowie. I'd bet that one whack on a watermelon would cause the "full length tang" to break -- that's cause it's a small weld barely holding the blade onto a length of threaded rod. But that's OK, as I'll just be wearing this on my right side in my Civil War Sergeant's uniform at the next Primitive Biathlon I compete in again this year. As in prior years, I'll carry my father's 1862 Mansfield & Lamb cavalry saber on the left side. My twin brother (Flint62Smoothie) and I really enjoy this "living history" event (see the picture from last year way down below), and he's got a number of great friends who do it with us. They'll all be in mountain man or French & Indian War era dress, but I'll have my 20th Maine set on. The camaraderie with those guys is great and a big reason why I enjoy this event.

Anyway, here's the Bowie as bought from ebay -- it was made by "El Cheapo":
Bowie 01 before.jpg

I aged the brass parts with a solution of white vinegar & salt, first by brushing it on the parts, the suspending them above the vinegar in a covered bowl; wetting them every hour, for about 5 hours total. That worked OK, but then the next time I shot blackpowder at the range, I saved some of the cleaning patches and wiped those onto the brass -- and that really helped to darken up some spots.
Bowie 04 after.jpg

The steel blade was aged with different types of Cold Blue solution, then wiped with steel wool in spots.
Bowie 03 after.jpg

Here's the replica Bowie, all ready for the Primitive Biathlon mid-February in Southern VT:
Bowie 02 after.jpg

You can't see it in the pictures, but I did rasp some finger grooves into the grip, then used the rasp to scrape the original hard finish off (which was too shiny and actually "pretty good"). That left a rough finish which I lightly sanded, then stained. I'll add a couple of coats of low gloss tung oil later. You can also see that I distressed the grip too.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out. I could have spent $150 to $300 more for a really nice representation of a D Guard Bowie, but for my purposes, this will be fine. And for sure -- I would not want to get stabbed with one!

Old No7

03 med.jpg

Regular yellow mustard will work too. The knife turned out very nice. And, don't look now, but there's a Yankee standing next to you🤣

The knife looks much better aged.

Two good looking brothers there. If you want to improve your 20th Maine impression, find a forage cap, sew a red cloth Maltese cross on top, get rid of the crossed rifle insignia (post war), ditch the cavalry sword & revolver and get an infantryman's cartridge box and rifle.

Don't forget the black brogans either. :D

That looks great!! Another fast way to age brass is to use the same cold bluing solution you used on the metal. It will turn the brass black in minutes, then just rub it back with a bit of fine steel wool leaving as much black as you want.

Thanks for the comments and tips posted above.

I just realized I didn't add an image from this year's event...

"No snow" for the VT Biathlon, but a grand time was had by all. The kids who attend get thrilled when they get to handle "a real Civil War Sword". That's on my left hip, with the D Guard Bowie on the right, and I'm using my "2 Band Sergeant's Rifle" (an 1856 Parker Hale Volunteer Rifle, replica by Navy Arms).

Old No7

Attachments

• 2024 (6).jpeg
    2024 (6).jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
Back