• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing breech plug...barrel keeps spinning.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjarard

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Any tips to get a barrel to stay put from turning when I'm trying to remove the breech plug? TRS said I'd be able to remove it with an adjustable wrench...but its in there good! When looking down at the plug, removal is counter clockwise...correct?

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpg
    IMG_2509.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
SOLVENT - Plug the barrel touch-hole and drip a 50-50 mix of acetone and Auto Transmission Fluid (ATF) to the breech plug threads, as work exponentially BETTER than Kroil, PB Blaster or any other penetrating fluid ... but they can help too. Try this for a few days prior to removal ... only need a little, no need to make a mess ...

JAWS - Add thick leather to the jaws and wrap the barrel in blue tape, with an aggressive metal paper side with the grit to the tape. Be AWARE of the barrel position and STOP if you think it rotates, to ensure you're not harming the barrel finish. Note that jaws with a tapered slot/groove would hold/grip more surface area and that is what you need.

VICE - That pattern maker's vice is not up to the task ... you're barely holding on maybe 1/16" of area on each side of the barrel and I highly doubt that Acme thread on that positioning vice is up to the clamping force, like you would get from a large metal-working vice.

OTHER - Sometimes heating the breech end warm/hot and immediately immersing into cold water can help break the seal, due to differing coefficients of expansion from the barrel to the plug.

TOOL - Get a longer wrench or add a cheater bar, you need a longer LEVER arm (leverage) ...

Last edited:
Right Tighty-Lefty Loosy.

This should be taught to every boy and girl in kindergarten.

In between animal crackers and nap time.

PS: Pulling the wrench by hand may not work. Snug that wrench down and smack it with a hammer. Breaking that seal.

Make a set of wooden vise blocks to secure the barrel. The hole in the block is exactly the size of the barrel. Make the block. Drill the hole. Then cut the block in half.

Attachments

• IMG_3044.JPG
    IMG_3044.JPG
    617.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Right Tighty-Lefty Loosy.

This should be taught to every boy and girl in kindergarten.

In between animal crackers and nap time.

PS: Pulling the wrench by hand may not work. Snug that wrench down and smack it with a hammer. Breaking that seal.

Make a set of wooden vise blocks to secure the barrel. The hole in the block is exactly the size of the barrel. Make the block. Drill the hole. Then cut the block in half.
Then add pine rosin to the contact surfaces.

You need a bench vice with metal jaws. You will need to use sheet copper or aluminum between the barrel and vice jaws to protect the barrel. The vice you're using is for wood work, not heavy metal work. For your task I use a heavy six inch bench vice. Use some oil, clamp it tight, and make sure your barrel is protected, because it will still try to turn.

Make the blocks out of maple. Make them fit the barrel by sanding them. Use the barrel with sandpaper around the barrel but further toward the muzzle. Look for as close to 100% contact as you can get. Yes, use rosin. Get a real vice.

Go to the local hardware store and get a piece of aluminum flat stock about 1/16" or so. Make a couple of little clips to fit between the plug and the wrench to keep from marring the plug. All this in addition to the advise above. The most important being why are you removing the breech plug? If there is no problem don't create one by trying something you don't need to do.

My guess is the OP is trying to determine where the breech plug ends so he can drill a touch/vent hole.

If that's the reason, insert a rod down the bore until it touches the plug, make a mark on the rod at the muzzle, then lay the rod alongside the barrel to see where the plug face is.

Then drill a hole.

Not an expert so help me here. I thought (based on a whole lot of reading) that you had to remove breech plug to properly seat barrel, as first step to inletting. Is this not the case for builds that need barrel inletting(nonKiblers)?

When working from a blank, some remove the breech plug to inlet the barrel, and some don't. I get the impression that most do. I do. Can't speak to the other way. I've built eleven rifles from a blank, and that sequence works for me.

Latest posts

Back