• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reloader cap maker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had the cap mixture to just ignite when mixing

Attachments

• IMG_20220508_122654_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20220508_122654_burst_01.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 29
Just mixed what it would take foe 12 caps I think the problem was I mixed out in a morter and pestle instead the plastic dipped like the instructions says soit was my bad..

Ouch. I bought the kit but didn’t make any of the explosive, since I was able to find some RWS 1075s. Thank you for posting. It’s embarrassing to admit you may have made a mistake, but big kudos for putting it out there so others can learn to be safer. Yes, if you watch the fellow in the video he kind of scoops sprinkles and churns gently. Mortar and pestle was probably where you went wrong. Make sure you take care of that and if you see signs of infection don’t wait to see a doc.

I have done the same thing. The mistake is trying to crush out the lumps with all the powders mixed.Always crush out the lumps in the big bag white powder first. After that add the other powders . Best way to mix the powders is to pour it back and forth in two cups or on a sheet of paper. If you must use a stirring stick of some sort,use a fairly long piece of wood or plastic. I now mix wet with water.No risk of a burn with that.

and this is why i don't mess with making priming compounds. the chemistry is not difficult but how sensitive the product is makes having an accident too likely. one small explosion in the home and I believe I will no longer be allowed to continue this great hobby.

Back