• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironwrx

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi. I got one of the #11 percussion cap punch/forming devices a while ago from Sharpshooter 22LR Reloader. They suggest using aluminum soda can as the “stock” to make the caps out of. I feel that the aluminum seems to have more “memory” and kind of springs open, giving kind of a loose fit on the guns nipples. I recently watched a YouTube video by a guy who suggested using 0.005 (36 ga.) copper instead. I wonder if anyone else has tried this, and what they think? This fellow also suggests to use a 1:4 ratio of Duco cement and acetone to drop on the prime all to keep the primer in its place. Anyone tried this?

I use the Duco, Ive never not used it, so I dont know what its like without it.
I have a ton of copper for making gas checks. I tried to use it, but the pop cans worked better.
So, do you use straight Duco, or a mix? If so, what is the mix? And what proportions? Do you know what thickness your gas check copper is?

I use DOS XX beer cans - maybe they are a little thicker than soda cans - I can't fit a double layer into my cap maker slot. One layer punches easily and stays on the nipple tightly. I seal it with acetone (@1 tablespoon) with a pinch of smokeless powder mixed in (700X is what I used) in an eyedropper bottle and every one goes bang. Priming compound has not come loose after they have been shaken around the can I keep them in.
And I like making the empty cans to make caps:ghostly:

I initially tried the pop cans doubled per many recommendations. They worked ok but I got quite a few that weren't centered. Plus it's a PITA to cut the cans up and double them over. So I ordered .005 copper and aluminum off Amazon. They both work fine. The aluminum goes a little faster in the punch but otherwise no difference. Aluminum cheaper so........

The acetone and duco works fine. Probably 1: 4 or 1:10. I didn't measure mine. Just swagged it.

I've been using Coca-Cola cans, as I like to have the outside of the caps red, so there's no worries that the cap is in place when visually checked. When the can was inverted and the interior side became the outside of the caps, the caps were silver, the nipple was silver...

Not quite as tight as a manufactured cap, but they held OK so far

I use the Ducco and acetone as a binder for the reactive ingredients and the cap

I use DOS XX beer cans - maybe they are a little thicker than soda cans - I can't fit a double layer into my cap maker slot.

Interesting..., I will need to try that. I suppose green caps will show up as well as red caps from Coke cans. I wonder if most aluminum cans from Mexico are just a tad thicker than the USA cans...

I need to check and get a 6-pack of Modelo, and Tecate... OH and Pacifico (bright yellow cans would be good to make caps) 🍻

LD

I've been using Coca-Cola cans, as I like to have the outside of the caps red, so there's no worries that the cap is in place when visually checked. When the can was inverted and the interior side became the outside of the caps, the caps were silver, the nipple was silver...

Not quite as tight as a manufactured cap, but they held OK so far

I use the Ducco and acetone as a binder for the reactive ingredients and the cap

Interesting..., I will need to try that. I suppose green caps will show up as well as red caps from Coke cans. I wonder if most aluminum cans from Mexico are just a tad thicker than the USA cans...

I need to check and get a 6-pack of Modelo, and Tecate... OH and Pacifico (bright yellow cans would be good to make caps) 🍻

LD
Dave, I know that Fosters Beer cans are a heartier stock than most beverage cans. Dont ask me why I know...

Dave, I know that Fosters Beer cans are a heartier stock than most beverage cans. Dont ask me why I know...
Let's see, one 6-pack each of Modelo, Tecate, Pacifico, and add to that..., Fosters.

Special note to self: do not make caps while in process of emptying the cans....

LD

I use about 10/1 acetone/duco cement and it works great. I have used the copper you are referring to. It works good, but the edges of the stock are very sharp and can slice you up pretty good, so be careful. I also bought .005 aluminum which works great too. And double up on the aluminum cans and you will have better results. I bought my stock on Amazon.

36 Gauge sheet brass worked great although I want to try something just a little thinner.

Attachments

• tpF53rKiSCOhIHgGJ7a%mw.jpg
    tpF53rKiSCOhIHgGJ7a%mw.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
There was a time when I could have kept you all in beer cans but I've slacked way off.

How about forming groups of five or six with one designated drinker to supply all with cans? 😈
I only have this one beer can. But it could supply 5 or 6.😀

Attachments

• 20240124_085850.jpg
    20240124_085850.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
36 Gauge sheet brass worked great although I want to try something just a little thinner.
If anyone wants to try some 38 gauge red brass (.006") I'll mail it to you for free, provided you report back on here with a report/review.
I have a bunch of it, and do not yet have a cap making kit.

UPDATE: I am sending some of this material to three volunteers... two longtime, well known members, and a new guy. We'll see how it goes. So, that's all the free stuff for now. Thanks for your interest!

Last edited:
So, do you use straight Duco, or a mix? If so, what is the mix? And what proportions? Do you know what thickness your gas check copper is?
12oz to one tube of Duco. stir it, I screwed the lid down and made like a martini.
When I went back later to use it. The lid was glued to the jar. I now stir it, OR shake in one jar and transfer it another.

.018 for the checks. I have rolls of this that I cut a foot strip off, then cut it into 1/2 inch strips.
They work in Paul Martins check maker and the cap maker. They are a lot harder to bend than the pop cans which are .005

@Cliffdweller, your caps are a lot neater on the outside than mine. Any tricks on how to do this? I run mine through a 1/4” aluminum plate with a hole drilled through it and a punch tha same size as the inner diameter of the cap. Flattens the bottom of the cap and neatens up the outside edges when pushed throu the plate, but still a little ragged on the edges.IMG_1711.jpeg

@Cliffdweller, your caps are a lot neater on the outside than mine. Any tricks on how to do this? I run mine through a 1/4” aluminum plate with a hole drilled through it and a punch tha same size as the inner diameter of the cap. Flattens the bottom of the cap and neatens up the outside edges when pushed throu the plate, but still a little ragged on the edges.View attachment 288227
I'm not sure if its the cap maker I'm using or what cause the maker is not one from the .22 reloader site its an older one that was manufactured by someone else who's name is eluding me at the moment cause it's morning and I'm at work but when I get home I'll take some more pics. All I do is use the cap maker and nothing else , they just come out looking like nice little 'jewls'

Latest posts

Back