• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reference book for Lancaster rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I made a post a week or two ago asking for advice on a gunsmith to create a late Lancaster for me. I got some good advice, and now need to decide exactly what features and details I want on my rifle. What book (or website links) would be recomended to see some good pictures of late Lancasters? Thanks!

Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age by Kindig has quite a few late Lancaster rifles.

Dittos with the Professor. They are not the greatest pictures compared to what you would expect if the book were to be done today but there are a ton of ideas there.

Great...I just reserved that one at my local library. Any other recommended reading?

Whiskers book on Lancaster builders has some pics but nothing in the way of any detailed descriptions.

CWC,

If you are still looking at 1820's, some of the original makers you might want to consider are Jacob Dickert and the Dickert-Gills (Jacob and Benjamin), Peter Gonter, Jacob Gumpf, and J. Hoak. If you want to step out of Lancaster, there are Philly and Hagerstown, MD builders as well. JJ and Abraham Henry were in Philly at the time, as was Henry Deringer. As far as resources go, look at the Whisker book that I linked in the other thread. Also consider, Shumway's Longrifle articles Vol I, and Kindig. Kindig is fairly pricey, but the others are reasonable.

Sean

"Colonial Rifles of America, Vol 1 by George Schumway"

Allways a great source for pics and details of longrifles, one just needs to reda carefully about the time and deails of a particular gun as a great number of the guns in these books are early guns rather than "late" just a word of caution if looking for a late Lancaster.

Whiskers book is probably the best for the later guns, but out of print

I have seen the Kindid book (Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in the it's Golden Age)several times this year for $75 to $100., which is a steal of a buy, IMHO. Before they were reprinted I saw some of them go for $ 175 to 250.

Looking back over the years, were I to do it all over & buy any, the first ones I would buy would have been the RCA Vol. I & II. They cover allot of territory & styles, as does the Kindig book. The Whiskers book is good, but doesn't hold a candle to the RCA ones or Kindig ones. (IMHO)

Birddog6 said:
The Whiskers book is good, but doesn't hold a candle to the RCA ones or Kindig ones. (IMHO)

Agreed, but RCA covers guns that are generally earlier than the original poster is looking for. Kindig covers guns related to his period quite well. Whisker's photography and sparse information leave something to be desired, but it allows you views of guns you might otherwise not get.

Sean

Back