• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebarreling part 2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteJoe

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Now here is the other area where the Blue Ridge differs from the norm, the underlugs. Rather than loops to take a transverse pin through the stock, Pedersoli has used a screw post dovetailed to the bottom flat to accept a vertical screw up through the ramrod thimbles. I like this arrangement. I've been of the habit or removing the barrel for cleaning by immersing the breech in a bucket of water. Over the past 20 years I have no doubt pulled this barrel hundreds of times. If it were a pinned barrel I've no doubt the stock would be in very bad shape by now. The only issue I have with this arrangement is that it is very easy to loose the screws. :redface:
So here is one lug driven half out of its dovetail slot.
Rebarrel6.jpg

With the breechplug already done it is a simple matter to install the barrel into the stock, secured with its tang screw. I blackened the bottom flat with a magic marker, then just used a sharp pointed scribe through the screw holes of the wood to mark the exact location of the lugs on the new barrel. Cut two dovetail slots, tape the lugs into place and it looks like this.
rebarrel7.jpg

With the bottom flat dovetailed for the lugs I now just flip the barrel over and dovetail the top flat for sights.
The only thing left is to drill and tap the right side flat for a vent liner, nipple drum, or in this case, the whole reason for rebarreling, I drilled it for a 1/4x28 nipple for my side slapper lock. She is now ready to brown or to fire, which ever comes first. :haha:
rebarrel8.jpg

I haven't kept an exact time on this project but I guestimate I have less than three hours in it at this point. Browning will take a week or so but that is mostly just waiting, only a few minutes per day of actual working on it.
So if you can't find a drop-in don't be intimidated by the prospect of fitting up a new barrel. I've even gone this route with rifles for which I could have bought a drop-in, it saves a few bucks and you don't have blueing to strip off before you brown and don't have screw holes where you don't want them.

Back