• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting a .62 Rifle build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year I was given TRS parts for an “Officer’s Fusil”. It is .62 caliber and has a round barrel that needed lugs and sights installed.
I was considering the various ways of doing this and decided to cut dovetails into the barrel.
Because it’s a round barrel, I have been nervous to attack it. But today I just decided go try my hand at it, using some instructions I have learned here.
I located the top and bottom (which wasn’t hard since the barrel breech plug was already installed and the side flats milled).
I decided to begin with the barrel lugs rather than the front sight so I could get a feel for the job. Then I measured and used a hacksaw to make the rough cuts, very slowly. After that I was able to use my needle files and adjust the cuts so the tenons would be straight along the center line. I will reinforce these with low-temp solder.
I was trying to recall how Dave Person taught us how to do this technique. I just re-discovered it again: Soldering barrel lugs and sight, success!
After success on the bottom, I went ahead and cut and dovetailed the front sight in. I am happy with how it’s come along. Now I need to buy a rear sight and get that in, and it’s ready to go.

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpeg
    IMG_0763.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0764.jpeg
    IMG_0764.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0765.jpeg
    IMG_0765.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0766.jpeg
    IMG_0766.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Last year I was given TRS parts for an “Officer’s Fusil”. It is .62 caliber and has a round barrel that needed lugs and sights installed.
I was considering the various ways of doing this and decided to cut dovetails into the barrel.
Because it’s a round barrel, I have been nervous to attack it. But today I just decided go try my hand at it, using some instructions I have learned here.
I located the top and bottom (which wasn’t hard since the barrel breech plug was already installed and the side flats milled).
I decided to begin with the barrel lugs rather than the front sight so I could get a feel for the job. Then I measured and used a hacksaw to make the rough cuts, very slowly. After that I was able to use my needle files and adjust the cuts so the tenons would be straight along the center line.
After success on the bottom, I went ahead and cut and dovetailed the front sight in. I am happy with how it’s come along. Now I need to buy a rear sight and get that in, and it’s ready to go.
The DTs look good, but I am with Mike. I would be checking/calculating the thickness of barrel material left especially on the breech end.
Larry

The DTs look good, but I am with Mike. I would be checking/calculating the thickness of barrel material left especially on the breech end.
Larry
Thanks Larry- the barrel is quite thick so the 1/16” (maybe less) deep notch shouldn’t be a problem I think. I have been looking at original Civil War rifled muskets a friend has and shoots and see some were dovetailed.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. Yes, I may add some solder also- I saw how Dave Person had dovetailed lugs and soldered them on a round barrel, which was a Bess iirc.
The barrel tapers from 9/8” to 7/8”; it’s quite thick walled.
I've done this to thin barrels many times but found they stay put better with just a dab of solder. Not much dovetail to bite down on the lug.:thumb:

I decided to begin with the barrel lugs rather than the front sight so I could get a feel for the job. Then I measured and used a hacksaw to make the rough cuts, very slowly. After that I was able to use my needle files and adjust the cuts so the tenons would be straight along the center line. I will reinforce these with low-temp solder.
I was trying to recall how Dave Person taught us how to do this technique. I just re-discovered it again: Soldering barrel lugs and sight, success!
Very nice work!
That’s a very interesting gun as well.

So would this be more of a “Sporting Rifle”?
I remember seeing a “ Gamekeeper’s Rifle” of the latter 18th Century, it was either on Clay Smiths site or one of Gary Brumfield’s articles.
18th Century English rifles...would make a very interesting study.

Very nice work!
That’s a very interesting gun as well.

So would this be more of a “Sporting Rifle”?
I remember seeing a “ Gamekeeper’s Rifle” of the latter 18th Century, it was either on Clay Smiths site or one of Gary Brumfield’s articles.
18th Century English rifles...would make a very interesting study.
It was in a TRS assemblage (from 1996)for building their "British Dragoon*Carbine". Comes with all the parts for the gun (except the rear sight), including the lock engraved "Edge". (Someone said it looks like an engraved Chamber's lock.) Anyway, I may stray from the original intent and make it a good hunting gun (double set triggers even, as the lock has a fly).

Attachments

• TRS 1.jpg
    TRS 1.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a number of fusils with round barrels and I have never dovetailed any of them. I silver solder the barrel lugs to the barrel and have never had a problem. Ony time it is somewhat difficult is when the front sight is opposite the front lug. I add solder to the barrel and wire the lug and sight in place, then solder them. Works great.

I have a number of fusils with round barrels and I have never dovetailed any of them. I silver solder the barrel lugs to the barrel and have never had a problem. Ony time it is somewhat difficult is when the front sight is opposite the front lug. I add solder to the barrel and wire the lug and sight in place, then solder them. Works great.
Silver solder is too hot for this application.

My focus on this fully round, rifled barrel now turns to the rear sight. Because it’s round (looks very similar to a Brown Bess barrel), I am not sure how to approach this. My thought is to dovetail it like I have done with the front sight so that it can be drifted if need be. One simple rear sight I ordered from Track should arrive soon.
I have seen muskets with fixed on rear sights, but I believe they were all 19th Century smoothbores. This is a first for me.
If anyone has examples of rear sights on 18th century round rifle barrels, please share 🙂
Thanks.

I am building a Baker calvary carbine from TRS and totally fudged the rear dovetail so cut the forward lug to match the barrel and soldiered both in place. Not proud of it not pretty but it’s done now.

I am building a Baker calvary carbine from TRS and totally fudged the rear dovetail so cut the forward lug to match the barrel and soldiered both in place. Not proud of it not pretty but it’s done now.
Thanks for the lead on the Baker rifle- found this info
"Rear sight was a block dovetailed into the barrel, about seven inches forward of the breach, allowing windage adjustment. The block was cut with a V notch..."
see: The Baker Rifle
Additionally, I see the Ferguson Rifle had a dovetailed rear sight (pic below).
So I will go and dovetail mine in as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back