• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting a .62 Rifle build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year I was given TRS parts for an “Officer’s Fusil”. It is .62 caliber and has a round barrel that needed lugs and sights installed.
I was considering the various ways of doing this and decided to cut dovetails into the barrel to receive the lugs and sights.
Because it’s a round barrel, I have been nervous to attack it. But today I just decided go try my hand at it, using some instructions I have learned here.
First thing was to locate the top and bottom of the barrel which wasn’t hard since the barrel breech plug was already installed and the side flats milled. Then scribe center lines down for my guide.
I decided to begin with the barrel lugs rather than the front sight so I could get a feel for the job. Then I measured and used a hacksaw to make the rough cuts, very slowly. After that I was able to use my needle files and adjust the cuts so the tenons would be straight along the center line.
After success on the bottom, I went ahead and cut and dovetailed the front sight in. I am happy with how it’s come along. Now I need to buy a rear sight (I’m not sure what kind yet, probably just a simple one) and get that in, and it’s ready to go.

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpeg
    IMG_0763.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0764.jpeg
    IMG_0764.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0765.jpeg
    IMG_0765.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0766.jpeg
    IMG_0766.jpeg