• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 trashed hawken rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Couple of weeks ago I mentioned two hawken style rifles I bid on at an online auction. When they showed up I discovered I'd bought a pig in a poke.

Here are some images of the wreck.

Both barrel tangs had been welded/brazed to the breech. One stock is missing a nose cap. The barrel ribs are screwed to the barrel with four tiny #6 screws. Missing a couple of RR thimbles.. One lock is flint, the other is percussion. One lock is L&R, the other is unmarked. The name on the bbl is R. Taylor (no date). The stamps on the bottom flat can be seen in #7. I don't understand the context. The maker introduced the barrels to his mill and cut about .1265" off the bottom flat from the breech up to the under rib. At that time he milled a couple of small lugs and created underlugs. Both barrels have some milling. On the flinter the breech is very sloppy. Not at all faired down the match the barrel flats.

However! The stock and the furniture are tightly handled. Notable are the inletted wedge escutions , the trigger & guard, lock and buttplate/ toe plate, and stock architecture are all well presented. I tried to lighten the patina on one stock with Murphies oil but not much improvement. Still really dark. I'm amazed that the stock and furniture are handled so well but the barrels are trash???

comments encouraged. What would you do?
Well fokes, there you have it. I'm pretty sure I can find a new barrel from Rice and make one good rifle out of the parts. When fate gives you lemons, make lemonaid. :ghostly:

Attachments

• hawk1.jpg
    hawk1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 5
  • hawk2.jpg
    hawk2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
  • hawk4.jpg
    hawk4.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 0
  • hawk5.jpg
    hawk5.jpg