• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Flask restoration HELP?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THX Colonial Boy for the reply. I have tried to wire/wrap the halves with small ga. wire. But I think my problems where the halves are not true to each other and I used a small butane pen torch instead of soldering iron. I will give your guidelines a try before going the JB weld method.
Curtis,
You could try gluing small tabs on to hold the halves in alignment, use a 5 minute epoxy and it will melt off as you solder the joint [if Murphy doesn’t interfere😀]. Just make really sure that no glue gets near the join.
Personally I wouldn’t go the JB method as if things go wrong the clean up could be a problem, however if you do use it or a good epoxy glue put a run along the inside of the join to widen the mating surfaces.
You’d have to do this in sections to avoid the glue running away but time would be well spent and when the job’s finally polished the epoxy, [or the JB], will, to a casual glance, look like a thin soldered joint.

it´s described in the book "The Powder Flask" by Martin Rywell

The trickiest thing is to align the halves and to keep them aligned when soldering. swearing can help
Nachlöten von defekten Lötnähten.jpg

Back