• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Flask restoration HELP?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea how I might re-solder this powder flask?
I don't really need it.Just thought it would be fun to fix it. BTW I am a fair tinkerer but not much of a A Tinker.
powder flask1.jpg
powder flask2.jpg

I also have one that has split the seam and needs to be resoldered I just wish mine was completely split like yours. Then I would solder a lip to the one side with a hard solder then fit the two sides together, tin them, and then sweat the two half's together with soft solder. As a professional jeweler, welder and machinist a soft soldered butt joint is the worst joint ever

Isn't that the one known as the "Friendship" flask?
After a short search it appears to one sold by TOW.Here is a quote from Track of Wolf."

"Our U. S. Model 1855 "Peace" flask was issued for use with rifled muskets. Sometimes called a "Zouave" flask, it holds 12 ounces of powder,"

Last edited:
I also have one that has split the seam and needs to be resoldered I just wish mine was completely split like yours. Then I would solder a lip to the one side with a hard solder then fit the two sides together, tin them, and then sweat the two half's together with soft solder. As a professional jeweler, welder and machinist a soft soldered butt joint is the worst joint ever
Well all you have to do is heat it up with propane torch and it will pop apart. Ask how I know!LOL.

I agree that a butt joint on thin copper is the worst choice using soft solder, but a good joint will last, witness many old flasks.
When I’ve had to repair flasks that were coming unstuck I always opted for pulling them completely apart [unless they’re leather covered, then it’s epoxy glue and hope].

My method is to clean up both halves, remove all dings and dents, then put a sheet of new emery paper on my old surface plate and gently rub both faces flat, test until they touch all around.
Emery the inside clean for at least 1/4 inch then tin with 50/50 solder.
Check the fit again then hold them together with string or rubber bands in three places.
Using a Soldering Iron introduce heat and some solder.
If all goes well the joint will run together as the iron advances and you end up with a continuous and strong enough job.
NEVER use a gas torch, stick with the old time way.

Having said that I have an original Hawksley iron [steel?] flask that was electrically welded in manufacture.

After a short search it appears to one sold by TOW.Here is a quote from Track of Wolf."

"Our U. S. Model 1855 "Peace" flask was issued for use with rifled muskets. Sometimes called a "Zouave" flask, it holds 12 ounces of powder,"
Oops, sorry I got the word "Friendship" mixed up with "Peace", but I was close!

I have one just like it and am in the process of digging through my box of old small bolts to replace the three at the top. I have found some that seem to fit but aren't the originals (on the reproductions) metric?

Last edited:
I agree that a butt joint on thin copper is the worst choice using soft solder, but a good joint will last, witness many old flasks.
When I’ve had to repair flasks that were coming unstuck I always opted for pulling them completely apart [unless they’re leather covered, then it’s epoxy glue and hope].

My method is to clean up both halves, remove all dings and dents, then put a sheet of new emery paper on my old surface plate and gently rub both faces flat, test until they touch all around.
Emery the inside clean for at least 1/4 inch then tin with 50/50 solder.
Check the fit again then hold them together with string or rubber bands in three places.
Using a Soldering Iron introduce heat and some solder.
If all goes well the joint will run together as the iron advances and you end up with a continuous and strong enough job.
NEVER use a gas torch, stick with the old time way.

Having said that I have an original Hawksley iron [steel?] flask that was electrically welded in manufacture.
THX Colonial Boy for the reply. I have tried to wire/wrap the halves with small ga. wire. But I think my problems where the halves are not true to each other and I used a small butane pen torch instead of soldering iron. I will give your guidelines a try before going the JB weld method.

Back