• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Flask restoration Australia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasko

32 Cal
Reaction score
20230729_110006.jpg

Hi, I'm a gold prospector/fossicker from NSW Australia & recently unearthed this powder flask while detecting for gold.
I've given it a wash in water but otherwise not done anything to it. The reverse side is somewhat more "crusty" than the side pictured.
It is split around the middle of the front & reverse, is missing the loops for the cord + lid.
My question is would it be worth restoring (even as a decorative or conversation piece) & is there anyone recommended in Australia that would carry that out?
Cheers Matt

Thanks for the reply. Had thought leaving it would be best but wasn't sure if they were restorable.
Knew the S hook was from a buckle & will be going back out there soon.
Was a pretty good few hours.
20230719_202545.jpg

Yes could be restored but no simple job if your missing the top & charger & its shutter & springs . Perhaps an old top with rotted body , But its eating no grass till one turns up .If its showing a threaded end its for a better sort of flask, if a plain top its the cheaper sort .Good luck with the elusive metal..
Rudyard from across the ditch

Yes could be restored but no simple job if your missing the top & charger & its shutter & springs . Perhaps an old top with rotted body , But its eating no grass till one turns up .If its showing a threaded end its for a better sort of flask, if a plain top its the cheaper sort .Good luck with the elusive metal..
Rudyard from across the ditch
Hi Rudyard,
Thanks for the reply. The top is plain so I'm assuming it's the cheaper sort with a fancy pattern on it.
My main interest is prospecting for the gold so these relics are an interesting & welcomed by-catch. I don't find enough of either to consider retirement but enough to keep the interest keen 😁

I always think of the old boy who tried the old Tarnagulla grave yard . He struck a huge nugget . So hopefully your' Welcome stranger' Or' Honourable Roddy ' is just waiting for you , Could even find a best Dixons powder flask you just never know .
Regards Rudyard

These powder flasks type shell or bush have been appearently rather popular in old times.

I got some of them in my little collection
20230816_201423-2.jpg
They all got different size, flask top, material. The big one has a corpus made of zinc.

The repair of open seams is not easy because you got to solder from inside. (So I was told to do it)
First step is to clean the seams inside of the flask. Dentist tools might be best for this purpose. Then you clamp the two halves together. The seam should be closed.
Heat the seam with a
toarch and apply liquid solder (low melting point solder) inside of the flask.

20230729_094357.jpg20230729_094531.jpg
From the booklet "The Powder Flask"

My handcrafting skills are not good enough to do this successfully.😭

Last edited:
These powder flasks type shell or bush have been appearently rather popular in old times.

I got some of them in my little collection
View attachment 246150
They all got different size, flask top, material. The big one has a corpus made of zinc.

The repair of open seams is not easy because you got to solder from inside. (So I was told to do it)
First step is to clean the seams inside of the flask. Dentist tools might be best for this purpose. Then you clamp the two halves together. The seam should be closed.
Heat the seam with a
toarch and apply liquid solder (low melting point solder) inside of the flask.

View attachment 246151View attachment 246152
From the booklet "The Powder Flask"

My handcrafting skills are not good enough to do this successfully.😭
Nice collection & thanks for the info.

The ones with rings are usually for export .The one on the left has the double shutter' flash proof' of Sykes patent of 1814 from memory the rest have the common shutter .Sheffield being producers of Hollow ware and lanthorn products was besides Birmingham the principal manufactures of flasks .Sykes. James Dixon & Hawksleys being the best known . .Dixons where approached by a Manchester Textile Merchant a Mr Bennet him self a flask collector he notice the old dies being used for paveing and doorstops in the 60s so they made new flasks using the original dies .'Colt Eagle' 'Stand of arms' ect .. So produced them & pill or snuff boxes until they went bankrupt at the Heeley works ( I lived near by) but used to take visitors to see the ' Cornish place' works where my brass founders had rooms by the river Don . The Old Cornish Place stands still preserved but full of other small firms . Old Mr Milo Dixon shewed us the display rooms he's long gone now & I'me half a world away from Sheffield .

While some excellent flash proof flasks where made in India & I was involved with that trade the Dog & Deers being one pattern they made though it wasn't a good example to copy being a cheap Birmingham they copied . But I took out the Three Horses & a Twisted Dolfin to get copies but typical India they search you going out and they got seized as ' Indian Antigues ' along with locks I had copied in Cawnpore (Inc Wheellocks )Despite the cast' Made in Itali'', I got a load of plain ones as they assumed only the late sort where fancy I gave up on trading into India too unreliable & devious . Though I did take tea with three Maharajas in a day & bought Double rifles from HRH Nagod .I Turned To finding Traction Engines less bother . But OT.
Regards Rudyard

I’m in the process of cleaning a genuine Hawksley flask ( not one of the good copies that the gentleman in India makes).
It appears to be silver soldered, I’ll know for sure when I tip the Coca-Cola back into its jar tomorrow.
The provenance of this flask is in no doubt as I was given it in 1949 when I was 15 by my mum’s uncle who told me that his father had bought it new about 1870.
I have another Hawksley, steel bodied, that has been electrically welded.
It appears to be old and I found that electric was used in the late 19th C.

I’m in the process of cleaning a genuine Hawksley flask ( not one of the good copies that the gentleman in India makes).
It appears to be silver soldered, I’ll know for sure when I tip the Coca-Cola back into its jar tomorrow.
The provenance of this flask is in no doubt as I was given it in 1949 when I was 15 by my mum’s uncle who told me that his father had bought it new about 1870.
I have another Hawksley, steel bodied, that has been electrically welded.
It appears to be old and I found that electric was used in the late 19th C.
Yes the 1883 Dixons catalogue is full of flasks & reloading for the new fangle cartridges . They buy up Hawksley's on Rockingham Street but later sell their stock to some Italian firm yet retained many dies .. The only part of rural Australia I really knew well along the Murray round Echuca , my once second home was that muzzle loaders where still in use by my friend's at least . And huge Ammonia pipe punt guns survived if unofficially .if no longer used by the market hunters.

Incidentally if of some relevance the Late Ian Ford & still active De Witt Bailey with some input from me and another Gentleman ( As I always try to help Authers of such works) .Have or are about to put out a definitive book on flasks & reloading items . Fully as useful as the old standard 'The Powder flask book 'By Riling .Though the two are thee only major works I know of . I collected ' Deer' flasks & older Lanthorn ones . Flasks where being made for India intended use as the Muzzle loaders entailed less licensing difficulty and where & yet are more versatile as to loading and cheaper had than the relatively few breach loaders available in India with local carts running two rupees each & imported Eley ones at 8 R/-each these last usually with LG loads for Tigers or Dakoits (Bandits ) That I've known no 7 shot have the rolled crimp opened and nicely printed' LG 'top wads substuted .By unscrupulous Bundook Whallas .. I could picture some village head man going after his adversary fully trusting his 8 /r- Eley cartridge and letting it have a load of aggravating the more no 7 or 8 shot . But chances are he will be himself despatched and thusly unable to come back to Cawnpore to complain. There are NO scruples in a bundook whallas day . I didn't pick 'Rudyard ' for nothing .
Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
Back