• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dumb ram rod questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2bp

40 Cal
Reaction score
Neither of my new-to-me TCs came with ram rods (no complaints, got awesome deal via a buddy for them)

Have acquired two of the "universal" fiber glass rods from CVA that are cut-to-length and of the proper diameter to go in the hangers and into the stock channel.

Of course, before cutting, I want to put on a loading/cleaning jag, etc. so that the length comes out correct.

Dumb Question #1 - I see short stubby "regular" type jags, and I see 3 and 4" long ones, and occasionally even longer.

Any reason for these? Just a good way to make a rod that is a inch or two too short into the correct length?

Dumb Question #2 - When I cut the rods, the instructions recommend a bit of epoxy or nail polish to prevent fraying - any reason to do something else? Any particular (epoxy/glue) product better than whatever nail polish I'm likely to steal from my daughter?

I recommend the longer jag, with a taper directly behind the jag end. This taper allows the patch some room while cleaning the barrel. The short (button jag) can and will sometimes jam a patch in the bore, which in turn holds the rod in the bore. I have no opinion on the cutting of rod, I’ve never had one fray.

@new2bp, I do have a recommendation for the attachment of any ramrod tip. I prefer a threaded tip. With a threaded tip, a correctly sized jag can be installed for cleaning, or a slightly smaller jag can be installed for wiping between shots when needed. @Buckskinquin is correct and a taper or clearance should be part of the tip to provide clearance for a patch to gather during cleaning or wiping between shots. Any epoxy will do to hold the tip in place while attaching the tip to the rod. Do not trust epoxy to hold the tip to the ramrod. Use a cross pin through the tip and the ramrod to hold the tip in place. Any less runs the risk of pulling the tip off when pulling a ball or extracting a very tight cleaning patch. I don't recommend fiberglass ramrods. Once the slick finish is worn off the rod becomes very abrasive and can wear the bore to an irregular shape at the muzzle. I do recommend a brass or stainless-steel ramrod to use as a working rod for loading at the range with a bore protector of course.

Do a search on the Forum for Fiberglass by Grenadier1758 for some interesting wear photos of my brass bore protector that I used with a fiberglass rod about 40 years ago. I'm sure the coatings on the fiberglass rods have improved, but I don't trust that. I am not comfortable with the flexibility of the Delrin rods, although many do like them.

I've never done this for anything that would then have metal wrapped around it. But if you must...................

A drop of thin super glue works better. Just a drop right on the end grain and let it sit for a while. Any thin brand will do. Also good for a tip that is going to remain bare wood. It will harden the wood and also soak into the wood deeper. Just remember at this point you have all the time in the world. Get the thinnest super glue you can find. I'd let it soak overnight. Find it at any craft store or hobby shop.

If you insist on epoxy then go with a slow drying version. That gives it some time to soak in. A one hour set should be good. Thin the epoxy with a touch, very light touch of denatured alcohol. Highest percentage you can get. Should be around 98% or so.

@new2bp, I do have a recommendation for the attachment of any ramrod tip. I prefer a threaded tip. With a threaded tip, a correctly sized jag can be installed for cleaning, or a slightly smaller jag can be installed for wiping between shots when needed. @Buckskinquin is correct and a taper or clearance should be part of the tip to provide clearance for a patch to gather during cleaning or wiping between shots. Any epoxy will do to hold the tip in place while attaching the tip to the rod. Do not trust epoxy to hold the tip to the ramrod. Use a cross pin through the tip and the ramrod to hold the tip in place. Any less runs the risk of pulling the tip off when pulling a ball or extracting a very tight cleaning patch. I don't recommend fiberglass ramrods. Once the slick finish is worn off the rod becomes very abrasive and can wear the bore to an irregular shape at the muzzle. I do recommend a brass or stainless-steel ramrod to use as a working rod for loading at the range with a bore protector of course.

Do a search on the Forum for Fiberglass by Grenadier1758 for some interesting wear photos of my brass bore protector that I used with a fiberglass rod about 40 years ago. I'm sure the coatings on the fiberglass rods have improved, but I don't trust that. I am not comfortable with the flexibility of the Delrin rods, although many do like them.

Thanks, think you mis-understood - I don't need to attach a jag per se, I need to buy one (ok, two), screw it in and then cut rod to appropriate length. The factory rods on my two CVAs had a threaded end at one end w/ the bullet loading/cleaning jag, and the other end was a basic brass cap, which is why I was asking if there is something better than just epoxy/nail polish on the cut fiberglass end.

One end of these come with the threaded insert from the factory, and a little tiny possibly usable loading tip (almost same diameter as the rod). Other end is just the fiberglass, which is where I intend to mark and cut and seal.

The tip about having some taper and empty space directly behind the "head" is appreciated and helps with selecting the right tips. Thanks!

@new2bp, I think it is a better practice to leave the threaded jag in the patch box as the jag will add a little length to the rod for use in loading and cleaning. Having the rod with a tip cut to the length to match to the end of the barrel when installed, will result in a rod that fits in the thimbles under the barrel, when used for cleaning, may be too short to hold onto when completely inserted in the barrel. And, yes, for whatever the finished length of your ramrod, pinning the tip (including the one that comes with your rod) is better than just epoxy, nail polish or thin super glue. Having two threaded tips (8-32 threads and 10-32) on both ends is much better than just sealing off the bare fiberglass end.

Longer jags etc. are always better , more ramrod sticking out the Muzzle to get ahold of when cleaning your bore , esp. when you get a stuck patch , etc . Slow set epoxy from your hardware . Not thing else ....

Back