• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drams to Grains?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_cowpoke

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy all, I just received my first powder flask in the mail today. It's a James Dixon & Son's & Sheffield flask with an adjustable spout measure. However its marked as "drams" and it begins with 2, going up to 3 as follows. 2, 2 1/4, 2 1/2, 2 3/4, 3. I can't find any consistent conversions online and figured I'd ask here. How many grains would be in these dram measurements or can anyone give a formula to convert? I'd use my own powder measure and such if I had one. I'm still beginning in black powder and I'm still building my supply of accessories and such. Thanks and have a blessed day.

-Poke

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230306_142401_eBay.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230306_142401_eBay.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 13
  • SmartSelect_20230306_142348_eBay.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230306_142348_eBay.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 0
What @64Springer said above.

Drams are an archaic measurement system and have to do mostly with shotguns and/or shotshells for modern guns. One dram is equal to 27.3438 grains. If you are using a gun that takes enormous charges (i.e.: Brown Bess) then this measure will work for you, otherwise you'd be better off getting one calibrated in grains.

Don't know which caliber or type of gun you have, but your flask will work fine for loads in the 60 - 90 gr range. I'd recommend getting an adjustable powder measure. They're always handy to have and you'll be able to verify just what each flask setting is throwing. It's a nice looking flask.

You can calculate it yourself.

There are 7,000 grains in a pound.

There are 16 ounces in a pound, and 16 drams in an ounce. 16 x 16 = 256 drams per pound.

7,000 grains divided by 256 drams = 27.3438 grains per dram.

Powder flasks with adjustable spouts are usually calibrated in quarter dram increments. For rough calculation, you can estimate about 7 grains per quarter dram, or 27 grains per whole dram.

Old-timers frequently calculated their loads in drams, or fractions thereof. I’m sort of a traditionalist, and I’ve been considering modifying the stem of an adjustable powder measure to show quarter dram increments rather than the usual five grain increments. Just for the hell of it. Just because I’m a grumpy, ornery old man.

Notchy Bob

If you recon on 1 drm equals 27.1/2 grains of Black powder you cannot go wrong. I have always used loads in drm s
Feltwad
when I first reloaded brass shotgunshells in 1951 I found dram equivelent information in The American Rifleman magazine. man! With those blackpowder loads your lead ,on waterfowl sure had to be in creased. Even on Coots. As I recall after the first shot a small increment , subsequently larger one , dia;ed in about 4th shot, one heck of a differsnce from the Remington highbase greens.
what a lot of fun, Rode down to the canal `bout 2.5 miles with shotgun across handelbars . Got a few looks but could not imagine a 14 or 15 year old doing such today.
Sometimes (they were the good old days).

Buzz

You can calculate it yourself.

There are 7,000 grains in a pound.

There are 16 ounces in a pound, and 16 drams in an ounce. 16 x 16 = 256 drams per pound.

7,000 grains divided by 256 drams = 27.3438 grains per dram.

Powder flasks with adjustable spouts are usually calibrated in quarter dram increments. For rough calculation, you can estimate about 7 grains per quarter dram, or 27 grains per whole dram.

Old-timers frequently calculated their loads in drams, or fractions thereof. I’m sort of a traditionalist, and I’ve been considering modifying the stem of an adjustable powder measure to show quarter dram increments rather than the usual five grain increments. Just for the hell of it. Just because I’m a grumpy, ornery old man.

Notchy Bob
MATH.

Whodathunkit.

That's where an adjustable grain measure comes in handy.
Right, but what I’m pointing out is that for example- one of my measures throws closer to 3 drams when it is actually set to 3 1/2 drams. So you have to check how much they actually throw. I’m sure they all have variance, particularly with different brands of powder

Right, but what I’m pointing out is that for example- one of my measures throws closer to 3 drams when it is actually set to 3 1/2 drams. So you have to check how much they actually throw. I’m sure they all have variance, particularly with different brands of powder
Yes, I agree. That's why I suggested him getting an adjustable measure to check each setting.

Howdy all, I just received my first powder flask in the mail today. It's a James Dixon & Son's & Sheffield flask with an adjustable spout measure. However its marked as "drams" and it begins with 2, going up to 3 as follows. 2, 2 1/4, 2 1/2, 2 3/4, 3. I can't find any consistent conversions online and figured I'd ask here. How many grains would be in these dram measurements or can anyone give a formula to convert? I'd use my own powder measure and such if I had one. I'm still beginning in black powder and I'm still building my supply of accessories and such. Thanks and have a blessed day.

-Poke

3 drams will be 82 grains.

Shotgunners have been stuck with that dram equivalent for decades. What it means in the modern world of shotgun shells is a velocity comparison. You'll still see a "dram equivalent" rating on a box of shotgun shells. If it says " 3 dram equivalent" it means that the velocity of that load equals the velocity of the same weight of shot with 82 grains of black powder. What granulation of black powder I don't know. Maybe someone here who knows more about it than I do can add something.

-Poke
I have 2 powder flasks similar to yours. I use 2 1/2 dram with 1 1/8oz shot in my 12 bore.

I use 2 1/4 dram with 1 oz shot in my 20 bore. I hope this helps.

Of course never pour from the flask into the barrel. That's dangerous...👍

The powder flask you have is simply a dispenser. It's scale should not be used to determine an actual grain volume measurement needed for accuracy with your rifle.
As other's have said a sliding scale volumetric measure is the easiest tool to use for consistent loads

I have 2 powder flasks similar to yours. I use 2 1/2 dram with 1 1/8oz shot in my 12 bore.

I use 2 1/4 dram with 1 oz shot in my 20 bore. I hope this helps.

Of course never pour from the flask into the barrel. That's dangerous...👍
2 1/2 drams with 1 1/8 oz shot sounds like it would produce a really low velocity - 1000 fps or so? Does it produce a workable hunting load for you?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back