• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to use a Colt Walker flask?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making a supply of paper cartridges at home for your C&B revolvers makes loading & shooting is sooo much faster, easier & fun !!

I store my .44 paper cartridges in plastic .45 Colt unmentionable boxes to avoid damaging them & smaller calibers in .38 S&W boxes.
Relic shooter
Good idea. Will do this! Have seen kits online. I have a 45 LC Box.

Making a supply of paper cartridges at home for your C&B revolvers makes loading & shooting is sooo much faster, easier & fun !!

I store my .44 paper cartridges in plastic .45 Colt unmentionable boxes to avoid damaging them & smaller calibers in .38 S&W boxes.
Relic shooter
@Relic shooter ,

Of the various paper cartridge kits, tools, books, and techniques that are “out there,” which would you recommend for someone getting started in loading paper cartridges for revolvers? I’ve loaded paper cartridges for muskets, but the combustible cartridges for sixguns would be a whole new proposition for me.

I would add that in receiving instruction, some people are “auditory learners” and some are better “visual learners.” I’m more the visual type, and prefer books to videos.

Thanks,

Notchy Bob

I kind of thinking my flask is going to become a wall hanger.Paper cartridges seem like the way to go.

Will try. Great idea. I did loosen that set screw, but the spout wouldn’t budge. Will try harder.
OK it's coming back to me to extend the spout you have to run the screw in the back end in, it controls the end cap that shuts off the spout opening. Sorry for the fuzzy memory but I haven't adjusted the powder charge in decades or shot the Walker in years.

Many years ago, I remember a guy at the range that would regularly shoot his Walker. While talking to him I noticed he was using a Zouave flask. I somewhat jokingly ask him where his Walker flask was. He told me he has one but doesn't use it. He said in his opinion, even for the period, the Walker flask was over-engineered. He said the Zouave flask with a 40-gr. spout was much easier.
According to the above, it seems Col. Walker agreed. (?)

Rick

I've got a couple of Walker flasks in display cases with Uberti Dragoons. After reading these posts I figured out how to make the adjustment. My thanks to the OP for bringing this up. I'm guessing the plunger should be adjusted to be flush with the end of the spout? While playing around with it I believe I can load with the Walker flask with the cylinder installed, but I have to go inside the chambers at an angle. It looks like the cylinder would need to be removed to get the spout straight into each chamber. I have read some reviews about the holes in the flasks being too small for .44 roundballs to fit. I didn't try but has anyone tried that?

Figured it out. Unscrew the tiny screw on the spout. Screw the threaded rod down to the cylinder. Pull the spout out until you see 10grain increments. Suddenly 50grain of powder!

Old smokey belches!

Attachments

• IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4054.jpeg
    IMG_4054.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Many years ago, I remember a guy at the range that would regularly shoot his Walker. While talking to him I noticed he was using a Zouave flask. I somewhat jokingly ask him where his Walker flask was. He told me he has one but doesn't use it. He said in his opinion, even for the period, the Walker flask was over-engineered. He said the Zouave flask with a 40-gr. spout was much easier.
According to the above, it seems Col. Walker agreed. (?)

Rick
The Walker flask is actually simpler than the Paterson flasks, of which I think there were at least 2 variations. Both dropped all 5 charges at once, some had a twist motion to drop the charge, nd I believe some had the same push-in release as the single one on the Walker flask. They also had a ball magazine in the back of the flask, at least the twist motion one did.

I've got a couple of Walker flasks in display cases with Uberti Dragoons. After reading these posts I figured out how to make the adjustment. My thanks to the OP for bringing this up. I'm guessing the plunger should be adjusted to be flush with the end of the spout? While playing around with it I believe I can load with the Walker flask with the cylinder installed, but I have to go inside the chambers at an angle. It looks like the cylinder would need to be removed to get the spout straight into each chamber. I have read some reviews about the holes in the flasks being too small for .44 roundballs to fit. I didn't try but has anyone tried that?

The link I posted on the previous page showed one in use by Mike (45D here, 45 Dragoon on the linked forum) along with the pictures on the powder adjustment, and you are correct, its not a straight in drop, he said it worked fine for him.

I own a Walker flask but Im not where it is. I havent seen it in person yet. Im looking forward to getting it in order for the Dragoon. I may mess with paper cartridges at some point, but they seem a bit fragile for carrying around any for hunting or adventuring.

To use a Colt Walker flask, first ensure it's filled with powder. Open the sliding door to access the compartment for round balls. Rotate the flask to fill the measuring tube with powder. Once filled, rotate it back, then pour the powder into the gun's chamber. Repeat as needed for additional charges.

To use a Colt Walker flask, first ensure it's filled with powder. Open the sliding door to access the compartment for round balls. Rotate the flask to fill the measuring tube with powder. Once filled, rotate it back, then pour the powder into the gun's chamber. Repeat as needed for additional charges.

Yours may work differently than the standard Walker flask.

The tip of the spout or tube is pressed against the chamber mouth to release the charge. Repeat.

The main question was how to adjust the charge.

Back