• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta Remington Foresight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year I went onto one of the UK Gun Market web-sites and bought a Stainless Steel Pietta Remington Competition Revolver with a view to shooting in MLAGB competitions.
It's a long story but the gun pictured in the advert was one of a pair and not the gun that arrived. The gun pictured was in standard trim but mine had a modified fore-sight.

The previous owner was a machinist and modified the sight to give a centre of the black point-of-aim at 25metres. It shoots like a dream and on a good day I can consistently score 90 + with it. Problem is it's not 'In the Spirit of the Original' with the modified sight so I am looking to remove it and refit an original foresight.
My question is, How easy is it to remove the foresight? In the cutaway parts drawing it looks like it's pressed into a small hole in the barrel, has anyone on the forum ever had call to remove one? If so. was it much of a job?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You can remove it but you won't be able to replace it witout buying a Uberti front sight and cutting a dovetail for it. I don't know exactly how Pietta installs the front sight or loading lever latch but it is strictly a one time deal.

The factory Pietta front sight is spot-welded in a small hole. As suggested buy an Uberti dovetailed sight and file a dovetail. I have silver soldered Pietta front sights in for shooters but will booger up the finish for sure.

Bob

Hate to be a sour apple here. Not trying to be argumentative or mean and vindictive here.
But it appears the op and others missed something.

The original owner had to have already removed the front sight to replace it with the modified one shown.

It now does not make one wit of difference how Pietta installs theirs.

Now what he needs to know is, how did the original owner/ modifier install the one pictured.
For that he will need to contact that person.
Pressed, threaded, brazed, soldered what have you.
If it is a simple drilled hole in the top of barrel.
Any correct diameter rod will work formed into a bead sight and he can glue, solder, braze or press fit it.
Or he can buy another sight via Pietta suppliers or Uberti, or a custom one that fits his fancy.
And install it however it installs.
Least ways that is how it appears in the photo.
It appears taller and bigger in diameter and to have been turned on a lathe.

He may have filed the "pinched" portion of the sight off and drilled the remainder to take a pin. It shouldn't be much of a problem to cut a longitudinal slot tn the remaining base and install a blade matching the original sight profile. The hole in the barrel that the original sight or loading lever catch goes in is very shallow and flat bottomed. It's only a few thousandths and serves more a locator than to hold anything.

I have had the fore-sight under a strong lens and it looks like the original sight was machined off leaving a raised 'rib' at 90 degrees to the bore. A section of stainless steel rod was then turned down to make the bead with a corresponding slot cut in it to match the rib. This was then fitted together with the bead slightly off-centre most likely to adjust the POA. I think it must be glued on as there's no sign of solder. It works really well but won't pass scrutiny at competition.

I think the answer will be to obtain a dove-tailed sight and go from there. That way lateral adjustment can still be maintained.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this post.

Back