• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple size for Original Savage .36?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
My question is can anyone confirm the thread size for nipples on a Savage .36 Navy Revolver? I have checked various sources both physical and online and am I'm reliably informed that they are 0.225 x 32 t.p.i.
One source lists this size for just about every Original percussion revolver so there's my dilemma.

I have an original Savage that I intend to shoot, I have checked it over and apart from a couple of mushroomed nipples it's in very good shape with a very tidy bore and tight action. Before I strip the cylinder and remove the nipples ready for a 'new' set I was wondering if any of the Pistoleers on here might be able to answer my question? For additional information there's a source here in the UK that can supply these particular nipples at a very reasonable £5 GB each as opposed to Custom made nipples costing anywhere from £15 to £20 each!
I will be using light loads with filler and a .380 ball. It's not something that will be going to the range with me every week, just an experiment really. I already shoot an Original Remington, Colt Navy and Starr SA. The Remington is used in National MLAGB competitions and although not allowed in International Competition due to a modified fore-sight, it's pretty accurate.... in the right hands!

6EBCD0D3-7C45-426F-B318-C7D0145B0A05_1_201_a.jpeg

This is the only picture I can find at the moment, I'm sure I have others but they may be saved elsewhere (?) I bought it for my 60th Birthday as I have always been fascinated with them and saw one being used by a guy at Bisley Shooting Centre many moons ago. Also I believe there's a video done by a Hungarian shooter (Cap and Ball - YouTube) that show the gun in action.

Remove and measure the nipples.

Lay an 8-32 or 10-32 screw on top of the nipple threads.

If your nipples are 32 threads, the screw and nipple threads will mesh together.

Latest posts

Back