• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New '58 Rem S/S Target-kinda disappointed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The devil made me do it! Impulse buy. While browsing around at about 1AM I came across target models of the '58 Remington with adjustable sights and thought how nice it would be to just adjust the sights on a BP revolver rather than replacing sights, filing and all the fussing you have to do to get them to shoot POA. And I figured if I'm going for a non-traditional gun I 'd go all out and try a stainless...never owned one. Pietta is what was available so I got that. First off, the threads for the height adjustment screw on the sight were tapered like if someone did not complete the tapping using a starting tap and the screw could not be adjusted. Fixed that but it was waste of time because with the sight in the lowest position the gun still shoots high...just like all the other BP revolvers I've bought! So the gun failed on the very reason I purchased it! I have filed down the base of the sight as much as was allowable and filed down the top of the sight and lowered the notch so tomorrow I'll see what that does. On the good side it is very accurate, very smooth operation, nice trigger pull and feels very good in my hand. About .003" endshake, so I like that. The stainless look is even starting to grow on me. We may become a couple yet. And if I ever want to shoot a pistol 100 yards I can adjust the sights for that. Here are some shots from its first outing if you can figure out what I was doing from my notes.

Attachments

• DSC_7833.JPG
    DSC_7833.JPG
    748.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_7840.JPG
    DSC_7840.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_7838.JPG
    DSC_7838.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 0
I had to file my 12 incher a bit to. My 8 inch has about a full turn left. Looks like you're doing pretty good.

it took me awhile to figuer out how that sight works. my 12 inch is shooting really well despite being a brasser. the flat head screw is just the set screw. the elevation is adjusted with the allen wench. be extra careful when adjusting windage that you dont let the sight blade fall out and get lost.... lock tight when happy.

it took me awhile to figuer out how that sight works. my 12 inch is shooting really well despite being a brasser. the flat head screw is just the set screw. the elevation is adjusted with the allen wench. be extra careful when adjusting windage that you dont let the sight blade fall out and get lost.... lock tight when happy.
DSC_7843.JPG

The two larger screws on my sight are hold down screws so to adjust (raise) the sights I'd have to loosen them and use the small screw to adjust and then retighten the hold down screws. I had that little blade out after I filed it to reblue it. I'll see how that works tomorrow at the range. I also filed down the bottom of the sight.

instead of a flat head screw I have allen wench plugs for elevation and windage. its pretty chincy INMOP

View attachment 270507
The two larger screws on my sight are hold down screws so to adjust (raise) the sights I'd have to loosen them and use the small screw to adjust and then retighten the hold down screws. I had that little blade out after I filed it to reblue it. I'll see how that works tomorrow at the range. I also filed down the bottom of the sight.
I made a new insert for mine and replaced the little windage screws with headed scope mount screws for easy adjustment but once I got it regulated I have never moved them again so the screw change isn't used but the threads are perfect.
It is my most accurate percussion revolver though and is 80s vintage.

I made a new insert for mine and replaced the little windage screws with headed scope mount screws for easy adjustment but once I got it regulated I have never moved them again so the screw change isn't used but the threads are perfect.
It is my most accurate percussion revolver though and is 80s vintage.
DSC_7847.JPG

Yes, the gun shoots very well. This is a set just before I did my final filing on the rear sight blade which brought the gun to shoot at actual POA. Only took 3 days of playing with it, going back and forth to the range, to get it there. So much for the sights being "adjustable". But otherwise I like the gun. I clean after each shoot but the stainless cleans up pretty quick.

View attachment 270993
Yes, the gun shoots very well. This is a set just before I did my final filing on the rear sight blade which brought the gun to shoot at actual POA. Only took 3 days of playing with it, going back and forth to the range, to get it there. So much for the sights being "adjustable". But otherwise I like the gun. I clean after each shoot but the stainless cleans up pretty quick.
That'll work !

That really is a shame that your having the elevation issue with a revolver that has adjustable sights. My stainless Uberti just has the standard sight channel in the rear, and it shoots to point of aim.

View attachment 270993
Looks like it was worth the work.

Latest posts

Back