• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NGD: Pietta 1858 Remington New Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New Gun Day

Pietta Remington "1858" New Army .44 caliber.

When I learned from a fellow forum member that Dixie Gun Works offered a larger grip / larger frame version of the Remington 1858 New Army I knew I was going to own one. And when the credit card payment could be deferred until August, why not now? So, arrived today from Dixie for $395:

pietta rem 58 pic.JPG

I haven't shot it yet, just cleaned it up, but it functions perfectly with caps. First impressions (if this sample is representative, and compared to my Uberti Colts):

Pietta's bluing finish beats Uberti's hands down.
Pietta's action required less polishing to make it run smooth.
Uberti's wood grips are far superior to Pietta's.
The Pietta doesn't have a short arbor.
I prefer Colt's load mechanism.
I prefer being able to completely remove the Colt barrel for cleaning.

I would citristrip the grips and hand rub an oil finish bet the wood would really look better. I almost got that same gun but ordered a uberti 1851 Navy, I plan on citristriping my grips when I get it.

First shots report:

My Remmie shoots low; about three inches below point of aim at about eight paces. Remmy does NOT like #11 caps. I had two failed to fires because the caps fell off the nipples before the cylinder got around to their chambers. And that was after being sure to seat them well. It does like #10 caps, but they're more difficult to seat on the nipple. But once there, they stayed, and don't tend to jam up the cylinder.

So, I suppose, another order going in to Slixprings.....

Your Remington may need work done to the hammer or nipples or both.

I purchased a used one that had beat the nipples flat and flared the hammer face.

Perhaps you won't have that issue but you are hereby informed that it can be an issue to be addressed.

Buy a couple hundred round balls at a time. In 1 afternoon you can go through a hundred before you are done.

Back