• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli SxS Flintlock Shotgun.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Britsmoothy said:
Whilst visiting a museum in York today there was a display from a long lost York gun maker.
I took a photo of this muzzleloader as it displays a nice amount of drop to the stock.
B.
The city of York over many decades has produced many provincial gun maker I have guns by different York gun makers but the most well known was Thomas Horsley,48.Coney St York.
Feltwad

A business in Ontario, Canada has a double flint gun on its website @ C$4500, or about US$3600.

DickS said:
A business in Ontario, Canada has a double flint gun on its website @ C$4500, or about US$3600.
I would be interested to know the maker and a image if possible
Feltwad

ellwoodepps.com
Just select "flintlock". They currently have a variety of interesting antiques.
#46045 is the flint double.
46844 is a Griffin breechloading flintlock rifle.
50837 is a flint fowler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Further to the Pedersoli...
A Canadian agent reports July, with a price of C$1850.

The pics of the pedersoli double flint are now on their website.The breech seems to be a bit more slender now though the basket weave pattern is still on the stock

The photos on Pedersoli's website show the checkering clearly. It is unlike checkering I have ever seen anywhere else. It is a strange basketweave.

Hovey Smith has included a brief look at the SxS in this video . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyvaUJtwh6I

Pedersoli content begins at 2.25 mins .
I am thinking that Pedersoli have made thick walled barrels with a view to this gun being used for round ball as well as for shot . A pity because a light fast handling 20 gauge would have been lovely .

As an aside , I have handled the percussion Olde Englishe Maple shotgun [ 12ga] and very much liked it and at 6.8 lbs is it almost a pound lighter than this flintlock 20 ga . Which proves that Pedersoli can make a lighter gun when they want to .
In Canada the Olde Englishe Maple sells for $2100 , which is the main reason that I don't have one [ yet ] .

It is a rediculas amount of money considering how much their second hand value is!

The thick barrels are nothing to do with shooting ball. Pedersoli switched to heavier barrels decades ago for insurance purposes!

B.

I agree , the price is way over the top.
But I shall continue to look for a used example , you never know , one may show up .
The price here has a lot to do with our Canadian dollar being in the toilet compared to the US dollar . Just 3 years ago , one could buy a Pedersoli Mortimer [ target ]for under $1400 , now you are looking at $2000 .
Most of the better Pedersoli guns are 2 grand or more .
I don't expect the flintlock sxs to be any less when it finally arrives .

I don't care for the basket weave and the barrels appear short in this video, but may have just been the angle of the camera. Nice wood on the example shown.

If they had of put Mortimer style locks on it and regular checkering on it they would of had a sure winner

Exactly! They are using indifferent generic locks and that strange basketweave checkering.
A double flint gun is a challenging undertaking. It makes no sense to go that far, and then come up short.

General question: So with 3 pages of criticism, who wants one? Personally, I am looking forward to it being available, I want one. Who is making a better one right now? If the checkering is that offensive, I guess I could always have it redone. I agree, it would be nice if Pedersoli would put something more pleasing on it, but what other choices are available right now?

No Deer said:
General question: So with 3 pages of criticism, who wants one? Personally, I am looking forward to it being available, I want one. Who is making a better one right now? If the checkering is that offensive, I guess I could always have it redone. I agree, it would be nice if Pedersoli would put something more pleasing on it, but what other choices are available right now?
It would be best to buy an original there will be little difference in the price and you will get a true flintlock gun that if decided to sell you would get your money back . Has for a repro they are all the same cost a lot for poor design which result in a cheap looking gun and has soon has you have bought it looses a good 80%+ of its new price if you wanted to sell
Feltwad

A shootable flint double on this side of the pond is a lot more expensive than the Pedersoli. Reported MSRP is C$1800, with availability this summer.
The locks appear to be the same ones used on Pedersoli's "Kentucky" rifles and pistols - generic locks that have only passing resemblance to an original. Hopefully they are fine sparkers. The gun would be more attractive if offered without the basket weave. At least then there would be the option of having it checkered in a correct style.

There are no other choices for a new reproduction gun unless you could persuade one of the custom gunmakers to make one for you .
I was looking forward to a double flint gun being put on the market , but like many others , I am disapointed with the end result .
Such a shame that Pedersoli took this direction with the gun . With Manton and Mortimer as inspiration , it should have been obvious what to reproduce. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHRlGtl2EP0
Do I want one ? No .
But does the concept interest me? Oh yes , I would like to handle one and see if it could redeem itself .

Latest posts

Back