• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli SxS Flintlock Shotgun.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George said:
Britsmoothy said:
My 70's Pedersoli is just over 2" and I seem to get away with it. And it is less than 6lb!.
Brown barrels? I have a Pedersoli 12 ga. SxS ca 1976, weight is 5 lb. 14 oz., drop at comb 1 1/4", at heel 2 1/8", trigger pulls 14" and 13.25". It's a handy, nimble and quick gun but too straight for me on snap shots.

Spence
Those figures are pretty much the same as my old one. :thumbsup:
POI is pretty good from casual tests and it has taken a few flying birds. The rammer is brittle though!

B.

My favorites are the old lightweight ones, have two of them now. They come right up on the sights every time. Pretty close and a bit heavier are the old Piettas. They are much larger but are more comfortable to shoot heavier loads with and come pretty much right onto the front sight too.

Bought a Pedersoli 10 bore, no cheek rest, been too weak and sick to shoot it yet. Hopefully soon before it gets too hot out again.

barbarossa said:
I have one of the pedersoli baker shotguns with the back action locks and I like it a lot.Ya it is a tad heavy but it is a good solid gun that performs real well.I ll probably be picking up the double flint when it comes out even though it has the basket weave checkering and it doesn t have inset locks so the breech fairly wide like the early doubles.I also believe it won t be obscenely priced because if it is I don t believe it will sell.I can put up with a couple minor cosmetic flaws on a reasonably priced gun but if I m going to pay a premium price then it has to be perfect
For those who are looking for a flintlock sxs shotgun lets hope it is cheap but I doubt it On this side of the pond it would have to be cheap cause it will not sell another example of not selling because of the price was the under and over percussion shotgun by Berretta .
Feltwad
u/o Berretta

[.I also believe it won t be obscenely priced because if it is I don t believe it will sell.I can put up with a couple minor cosmetic flaws on a reasonably priced gun but if I m going to pay a premium price then it has to be perfect[/quote]

Hi,
If you don't think they will be pricey, check the price on a Pedersoli Mortimer.
Not affordable on my pension. :( :shocked2:
I would love to have a Mortimer 12 ga., but they hold a price of $1000 used. :shocked2:
Fred

When you look at the breech / lock / lock panel area of this gun, and then you look at the same area of a well built English or French SxS and there is no comparison. For less money than these will go for you can probably find a used Lancaster, Gregory, W.C. Scott, or even an H&H or Purdey (in percussion) in very fieldable condition, and with proper architecture. And, you probably will have money left over for krumpets & tea.

Britsmoothy said:
POI is pretty good from casual tests and it has taken a few flying birds.
Many years ago when I got that gun and found it to be a bit straight for me, a poster on another forum expressed the opinion that Pedersoli had used an original English percussion double as the model for their replica, and that the original was a bit straight because it was intended for driven shoots, His idea was that if you are always shooting at birds which are flying toward you a gun that tends to shoot a bit high will be an advantage. Have you ever heard of this?

Spence

George said:
Britsmoothy said:
Many years ago when I got that gun and found it to be a bit straight for me, a poster on another forum expressed the opinion that Pedersoli had used an original English percussion double as the model for their replica, and that the original was a bit straight because it was intended for driven shoots, His idea was that if you are always shooting at birds which are flying toward you a gun that tends to shoot a bit high will be an advantage. Have you ever heard of this?

Spence

Guns of that period that were straight in the stock were not built for driven birds but for the opposite .They were built for both single and double live pigeon guns to shoot live pigeon from traps . These guns shoot high on going away birds and came in all bores from 4 to 12 but the large bores were all single barrel see image
Feltwad

Thank you, Feltwad. I didn't know about guns for live pigeon shoots.

Spence

George said:
Britsmoothy said:

Spence
Yes Spence I have heard of that.
Driven shooting was being conducted during the example Pedersoli copied.

B.

jackley said:
Feltwad
How much do you think it would cost, to get one of those dbl bbl flinters across the pond.

Jerry
Sorry Jerry I cannot help you on that one but if you bought one from the big Auction Houses here in the UK they would give your a good idea what it would involve and the price but I do not think it would be cheap .
Has for driven birds during the percussion period did not become used till the early breech loaders . All game shooting then was over pointers and setters there was percussion guns that were revered too covert guns of which I own several but these were small bores with 16 being the largest with shorter barrels and very light in weight and were ideal for shooting woodcock where the long barrelled guns were awkward
Feltwad

Old Ford said:
Hi,
If you don't think they will be pricey, check the price on a Pedersoli Mortimer.
I would love to have a Mortimer 12 ga., but they hold a price of $1000 used. :shocked2:
Fred
Yes, a Mortimer. I own one & it cot me 2k new. It is 54 cal & a very nice piece that I like in many ways. To purchase a 12gauge barrel for it will cost me about $800 all done. Just the barrel.
Having no $800 dollar use for another single barrel 12 gauge My hopes had been high for this flint double.
I have nearly enough centre fire 12g cartridge doubles in box lock & side lock, external hammered & not & never really cottoned to the percussion system.
20 gauge is okay, 16 g would be good too.
My estimate by going on my other Pedersoli pricing in AU & exchange rates, duty & stuff, is not under two & a half.
O.

19 16 6 said:
Old Ford said:
Hi,
Fred
Yes, a Mortimer. I own one & it cot me 2k new. It is 54 cal & a very nice piece that I like in many ways. To purchase a 12gauge barrel for it will cost me about $800 all done. Just the barrel.
Having no $800 dollar use for another single barrel 12 gauge My hopes had been high for this flint double.
I have nearly enough centre fire 12g cartridge doubles in box lock & side lock, external hammered & not & never really cottoned to the percussion system.
20 gauge is okay, 16 g would be good too.
My estimate by going on my other Pedersoli pricing in AU & exchange rates, duty & stuff, is not under two & a half.
O.
I would say about 2500 US% going by UK prices for a percussion but it all depends on the grades if a D/L model then double that price
Feltwad

I don't know Feltwad,
I tend to watch English auctions and quite often a decent percussion double will only fetch a few hundred quid.
A double flint more, but still not as much as pistols very often bring.

Trouble is getting the auction houses to Ship these days. It's a pain.
Holts will, and use Harry Gordon at "section 5 supply" or some such.
It's Not cheap, but can be done.
Best option if anyone wants the info, contact me.

Shipping into the US is a lot cheaper than Canada, as Canada will only accept "firearms" (Even an antique flintlock to them is a firearm) via Air Canada, and they have a "Lock up fee" and I believe it is 200 GBP. (Pounds Sterling)

I do have a contact, and she is very good and very reasonably priced for shipping things like this. I just can't remember her name! It'll come shortly.
This lady sent me a box of antique guns /parts a couple of years ago, and it was a Very modest price compared to any other options I found.

I'll have to look her up...

Taken from The Field magazine.

It seems there was a period of driven game shooting with muzzleloaders.

HISTORY OF THE PHEASANT: THE RISE OF THE BATTUE
It was in the third quarter of the 19th century that the driven-pheasant battue really established itself. Essentially a Continental import ”“ the traditional British method was to walk-up over setters or pointers or to flush birds from cover with spaniels ”“ the battue was first popularised by the Prince Consort in the 1840s, 50s and 60s and taken up by his wayward but trend-setting son, Edward Albert (notably at Sandringham). The early form had been to walk in line with the beaters through a prepared wood, which was typically netted to the sides and back. Later, post 1860 or thereabouts, guns and beaters were split into different parties along modern lines. Bags increased with demand and possibility as much faster-firing breech-loaders were introduced after the Great Exhibition.

RJDH said:
I don't know Feltwad,
I tend to watch English auctions and quite often a decent percussion double will only fetch a few hundred quid.
A double flint more, but still not as much as pistols very often bring.

Trouble is getting the auction houses to Ship these days. It's a pain.
Holts will, and use Harry Gordon at "section 5 supply" or some such.
It's Not cheap, but can be done.
Best option if anyone wants the info, contact me.

Shipping into the US is a lot cheaper than Canada, as Canada will only accept "firearms" (Even an antique flintlock to them is a firearm) via Air Canada, and they have a "Lock up fee" and I believe it is 200 GBP. (Pounds Sterling)

I do have a contact, and she is very good and very reasonably priced for shipping things like this. I just can't remember her name! It'll come shortly.
This lady sent me a box of antique guns /parts a couple of years ago, and it was a Very modest price compared to any other options I found.

I'll have to look her up...
The price I quoted was for new Pedersoli percussion guns and not those from auction If buying from auction for a good sxs percussion original depending on the maker £250 to £600 extra if wood cased . For used repros such has Pedersoli , Navy arms , £50 to £100 a bit more if in good condition but I have never seen one bring more than £200.
Feltwad
A original sxs bought at auction for less than £200

Whilst visiting a museum in York today there was a display from a long lost York gun maker.
I took a photo of this muzzleloader as it displays a nice amount of drop to the stock.
B.

Latest posts

Back