• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Frontier & Pennsylvania Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevew

40 Cal
Reaction score
Thinking about acquiring one of these rifles and would like to see pics of yours.

My Pedersoli Pennsylvania in .50cal

PSX_20210308_120014.jpg

I looked hard at the Pennsylvania. Really like the longer barrel. Gorgeous rifles. But the Frontier just suits me better. That’s our little range a few minutes from home. Looking southeast toward Chief Mtn border crossing into Montana.

I found the Roman nosed architecture took a bit of getting used to. She only has a mild crecent shape to the butt plate but i find she points very well when mounted like a southern style rifle, keeps that roman nose hump next to your cheek instead of under it.

She's a great shooter and far more accurate than I am. For my first flintlock, i am perfectly happy with her.

Chris

I was able to obtain an unfired 45cal Frontier for $400. I had never shot any ML less than 50cal. It has become my favorite go to ML for casual shooting. Points and aims very naturally and comfortably. It shoots better than my aging eyes are capable of seeing!

Thinking about acquiring one of these rifles and would like to see pics of yours.

Sorry I've sold mine many years ago, before I got photos..., BUT I'm thinking of buying another Frontier....,

I like the longer barrel on the Pennsylvania, BUT I don't like the smaller lock on a flinter, so for me if I get another it will be the .54 in flintlock with the slower twist barrel. Probably my dislike is contamination from using Bess and Charleville muskets, which have even bigger locks.

LD

Pedersoli Pennsylvania Dixie in 50 cal and Pedersoli Frontier in 54 cal (fitted with a skinner peep for long range)
View attachment 70023
View attachment 70024

Can we see pictures of the Skinner peep sight and how you mounted it on the rifle? Asking for a friend.

Edit: Never mind. I see that it is the dovetail mounted peep sight. I tried the Marble's peep sight in the dovetail but had trouble getting a good sight picture.

You must like it or else you would not be using it. What size is the aperture? Did you do anything to the front sight?

Can we see pictures of the Skinner peep sight and how you mounted it on the rifle? Asking for a friend.

Edit: Never mind. I see that it is the dovetail mounted peep sight. I tried the Marble's peep sight in the dovetail but had trouble getting a good sight picture.

You must like it or else you would not be using it. What size is the aperture? Did you do anything to the front sight?
Yes - I really like it. I shoot this gun with patched round ball out to 100 yards and can easily keep a group in the head of a B-27 silhouette target.
At 200 yards I can keep a group in the body of that same target (all in the fatal zone)
I did nothing to the front sight. It's the factory blade. It measures .093" thick. I did file it down a tad when I got the gun and first set it up.
The aperture is the standard .125 (1/8" hole). They do have smaller and larger ones available.
The skinner sight can be adjusted for windage (has a set screw in the dovetail channel) and elevation (has a set screw into the threaded shaft hole to secure after adjusting.)

Yes - I really like it. I shoot this gun with patched round ball out to 100 yards and can easily keep a group in the head of a B-27 silhouette target.
At 200 yards I can keep a group in the body of that same target (all in the fatal zone)
I did nothing to the front sight. It's the factory blade. It measures .093" thick. I did file it down a tad when I got the gun and first set it up.
The aperture is the standard .125 (1/8" hole). They do have smaller and larger ones available.
The skinner sight can be adjusted for windage (has a set screw in the dovetail channel) and elevation (has a set screw into the threaded shaft hole to secure after adjusting.)

I replaced the factory sight blade with a shorter brass blade. Just curious; after filing how high is the front sight?

Back