• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Pennsylvania Long Rifle info?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pchunterpa

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I recently purchased a CVA Penn/Pennsylvania Long Rifle/Rifle, not sure which one is correct; says PENN on the barrel.

I did find advertising flyer for it online and it does say Pennsylvania Long Rifle.

I don’t plan on hunting with it this year in PA but I am looking to shoot it. I have a 5/8” flint in it now and it seems wide for the frizzen and jaws; I have kicked off to the side so it doesn’t hit the barrel when fired. So I am guessing if I can find 1/2” flint it would be the best, I don’t remember if they make smaller or not or if1/2” will be just fine.

I guess that is my first question and second after googling and searching the forum I really didn’t find much information on it, does anyone know anything about the rifle?

The best I can gather is it was made 80s-90s and did come in a kit from looking at the flyer.

I’m sure if mine is a kit gun or if already assembled.

Seller did say before I bought it the trigger mechanism wasn’t function but that was an easy fix with some Dawn Powerwash, it was just gummed up and now looks and works like new.

But, anyway, thanks for the info if anyone has any.

IMG_0988.jpeg

Probably won't have consistent spark.
Are the cva locks known to have this issue or is it with the locks with Pennsylvania long rifles?

Or is it with the frizzen itself, not hard enough?

Sorry about all the questions just trying to narrow down what I should be looking for and if it’s fixable?

Thanks

All i can add to the info you posted is mine has a 1 in 60 or 66 twist, can't remember 100 percent. Mines percussion but i plan on converting to flint. Cva flint locks can be good or bad or anywhere in between from my experience. I'll also add that the Pennsylvania is one of my favorite cva's ever made. Happy shooting, hope she works out for ya.

Ok, thank you everyone. I intend on shooting after I finish filling my tags in the late season. Will report back.

If the barrel shoots great, and you wish to keep it, you may want to get the lock replaced with something better. Every cva lock I’ve had or seen had problems in the long run.

Hopefully it does shoot well, and I like to work on stuff so I am looking forward to working on the lock or getting a new and getting it fitted.

But I definitely appreciate everyone’s input.

Hopefully it does shoot well, and I like to work on stuff so I am looking forward to working on the lock or getting a new and getting it fitted.

But I definitely appreciate everyone’s input.
You'll be fine. I have a Traditions Kentucky flintlock which is the same Spanish made rifle as your CVA . It has worked fine for me so far , being almost 400 round balls. Flints last anywhere between 10 to 40 shots . Replacement parts are available and fairly cheap , keep the lock cleaned and lubed and have fun.

I have one of those CVA Pennsylvania long rifles with the nice patch box. They only made them for a couple of years. 83 and 84 I believe. They were made for Dixie Gun Works and they were sold through them. Mine was percussion and I had it converted to flint. The barrel says 50 caliber but it is undersize and it is actually closed to a .48 caliber. I shoot a patched .480 round ball as a .490 won't fit in the barrel.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I found the pic of mine. The barrel uses a .480 RB as it is a bit undersized to fit a .490. Mike Lea converted my rifle from percussion to Flintlock. We used a new L&R RPL lock.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 0
I found the pic of mine. The barrel uses a .480 RB as it is a bit undersized to fit a .490. Mike Lea converted my rifle from percussion to Flintlock. We used a new L&R RPL lock.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Awesome
Thank you the info, definitely looks like mine and I have and L&R lock to put on it too.

Back