• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedersoil steel shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colt100

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Can you use steel shot (loaded like lead w/o shot cups) in chromed lined pedersoli shotguns?

I thought that this was a no-no even with the chromed lined but I was looking on Cabela's site today and they are claiming that the shotguns they sell are chromed lined for use with steel shot.

What's up with this?

Colt,

Many shotguns have chrome barrels, but any that use steel always use a shot cup. The shot is so hard it can bunch up and mar your barrel. If you hunt water fowl you must use steel or some non toxic shot. Use a more open choke like a Mod or Imp Cyl. Try not to shoot big steel like T's or F's as they can bunch up and cause a bulge.

Tom Hawkins

That's what I thought. I normally use bismuth but will have to search for another type of shot as the supply is gone of the bismuth :shake: .

I'm surprised that Cabela's put this on their web site as it indicated to me that as long as the barrel was chromed lined, you could use steel shot.

I'm not a big fan of steel shot anyway.

I have a 20ga. SXS that I bought from Cabelas a few years ago and when I contacted Pedersoli they said steel shot only with a shot cup.

I'd NEVER take advise from Cabelas. Just reading the descriptions of guns in their catalog should be enough to convince anyone that their advertising folks are "know-nothings" in regard to muzzleloaders. They take a replica of the 1861 Navy Colt, shorten the barrel to 5 1/2", flute the cylinder and call it an "1862 Army Police model", as if there was ever such a thing. I personally know of people who bought that gun thinking it was the totally different 1862 Police model only to find the only similarity is caliber.

Back