• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

copper shot in a chrome barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter bob

72 cal. Swamp hunter
Reaction score
i have had lots of success with my new pedersoli 12gauge sxs over the last year testing, plinking and tossing roundballs all over my land and into a nice little buck this winter that we are still eating. while hunting that deer i saw the 4 biggest goddam turkeys walk circles around my blind for an hour and got me thinking about the 10lb bag of copper shot i have to reload my shotsells but i have no idea if the copper would damage my chrome lined barrels. i know that chrome is stronger then copper but with how thin the chrome is im worried about scratching or damaging it and exposing the steel. also what shot loads do you use on turkeys and what ranges do you tend to shoot those loads, i will pattern my gun before hunting and ive never had to take a turkey past 10 yards but its nice to know

Both copper and nickle plated lead shot are still soft and wont hurt your barrel chromed or not , the point of the plating is to help the shot keep its shape on the way down the barrel giving you denser patterns at longer ranges . I'd say it is ideal for your purpose .

i have had lots of success with my new pedersoli 12gauge sxs over the last year testing, plinking and tossing roundballs all over my land and into a nice little buck this winter that we are still eating. while hunting that deer i saw the 4 biggest goddam turkeys walk circles around my blind for an hour and got me thinking about the 10lb bag of copper shot i have to reload my shotsells but i have no idea if the copper would damage my chrome lined barrels. i know that chrome is stronger then copper but with how thin the chrome is im worried about scratching or damaging it and exposing the steel. also what shot loads do you use on turkeys and what ranges do you tend to shoot those loads, i will pattern my gun before hunting and ive never had to take a turkey past 10 yards but its nice to know

That copper plating is more of a copper wash, and is VERY thin. Can be easily scraped off with a knife.
That hard chrome inside your barrels is another story. Most guys with barrel reamers will not do work on chromed bores because it eats up their reamers.

I use copper and nickel plated shot for a lot of hunting. Some copper is a "wash" coating and some has a thickness measured in microns that really does help to keep the shot from deforming to an extent. None of these coatings will harm chrome lined barrels or standard barrels. I load in my 12 gauge the 1 1/8 ounce scoop of powder, three nitro cards, a 1/8 inch of fiber wad, 1 1/4-ounce of #5 hard lead shot (6% antimony) and an overshot card. That particular gun has very slight choke in the right barrel and I stick to 25-yards. The left barrel is a little tighter than Modified, like IM and I will shoot 35-yards and maybe more if circumstances are perfect. You definitely have to pattern your gun to see what it's doing with your components and whatever choke it has.

Anyone have a favored turkey load im using one of the older pedersoli sxs and i dont know the chokes it has but i can tell which barrel has the tighter choak, i suspect its around a modified cylinder or an improved cylinder coak and the other barrel is full bore. Also even after cleaning, then clearing the nipple with a primer, tapping powder into the nipple by bouncing the gun on my boot/lightly smacking the barrels seating the magnum cap as well as it will and everything my right barrel likes to hangfire 9 times otta ten. It is only for a second or two so it feels like shooting a flintlock but id rather it not, any ideas or suggestions

Attachments

• 20230228_105701.jpg
    20230228_105701.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
All shot made and sold in USA that is "copper" is a copper wash. Some nickel plated shot is done with electrolysis. Precision reloading Nickel Shot and Heper come to mind. Neither will bother your barrel regardless of whether its damascus, smooth steel or chrome plated. Sometimes the copper wash will leave a streak in the barrel but it comes right out. If the nickel is truly plated, it won't leave anything in the barrel.

Latest posts

Back