• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica full stock Leman question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighUintas

40 Cal
Reaction score
If there are any of you out there that have built pecatonicas full stock Leman kit, or used the stock, is there enough cheek piece wood there to turn it into a respectable beaver tail type? I am considering doing this

I haven't built the leman but a couple trade guns, they leave plenty there for beaver tail carvings around the lock panels if that's what your asking

I haven't built the leman but a couple trade guns, they leave plenty there for beaver tail carvings around the lock panels if that's what your asking

I was referring to carving the rectangle type cheek piece into a hawken beaver tail cheek

1642619730271.jpeg

This started life as a full stock Leman. So yes it can be done. This was a TOTW Leman precarved for a 15/16" barrel which I put a tapered 1" to 7/8" barrel in. And was cut down to halfstock.

Last edited:
really nice lay you have on the comb. Right in line with the buttplate. Great job, I would like to see the rest of the rifle. Thanks for showing

did you say you didn't like shooting this
Yes. They had a very narrow butt plate, and when combined with a large bore, even with a heavy barrel the recoil was unpleasant, and a good upper arm hold made the gun a check slapper
I THINK in a 15/16 .45 or even a 7/8 it would be a good gun, but in a .54 not so much
It was a pointer though. The shape came to the shooting postion right on target, and was light

Yes that looks pretty nice! I'd like to see the rest of it also.

Mine is going to be a 1x36" 58cal. 😬 I'm now commiting to doing it from a plank though, so I'll likely make the butt a tad wider to help with recoil

View attachment 116019
View attachment 116020
It does have a wider butt plate so the felt recoil is a little less, even as light that it is...
Both very nice looking rifles and a great job. I contacted pecatonica and they advised me to do the leman for my first rifle because the hawken was kind of difficult for the first one. Im a newbie to muzzleloading but a stockmaker by trade. Are both of them lemans? I would be happy with either one. Thanks

Both very nice looking rifles and a great job. I contacted pecatonica and they advised me to do the leman for my first rifle because the hawken was kind of difficult for the first one. Im a newbie to muzzleloading but a stockmaker by trade. Are both of them lemans? I would be happy with either one. Thanks
Neither is a Leman. The top one is a mixture of parts and the bottom one is a Hawkens made from a blank... I will get a picture of my Leman perc. tomorrow...

Hawkens are special.
Leman sold his guns for between $12.00-$14.50 back in the day. Jake and Sams guns ran from $22.50 to $30.00. Many complex fits on even the plainest Hawken.

Thing about the Leman is that when it's built to the original dimensions they are not a good fit to many shooters. Short LOP. I had the opportunity to shoulder one that was built as the originals and it struck me immediately as a difficult fit.

Thing about the Leman is that when it's built to the original dimensions they are not a good fit to many shooters. Short LOP. I had the opportunity to shoulder one that was built as the originals and it struck me immediately as a difficult fit.

Do you know what the LOP on the originals were?

Back