• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Iron Nitrate assistance - Woodsrunner Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koauke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm working on my first Woodsrunner kit and kit build in general. I'm at the iron nitrate stage, but after heating with the heat gun I did not get that brilliant rust orange color that Jim got in his video. I got hints of that rust orange color, but mostly it’s a sandy grey brown color.

I couldn’t get it to change any more than that no matter how long I applied heat to any area of the wood. Having never done this before I'm just not sure what to expect. Its definitely not the green color it was prior to heating. I'm attaching some photos the last three are under a different light source (I'll have to check in the sunlight tomorrow). The butt of the stock and the patch box lid produced the most "color" but even within that you can see that sandy grey brown. There is very little of that rust color forward of the butt area of the stock.

Potentially a dumb questions:
Is this the correct result? If not is there a way to rectify it?
Do some stocks just not produce that rust orange color?
I wiped off the excess and let it dry an hour before heating. Maybe I didn't let it dry long enough?
Maybe I used the wrong type of scotch brite pad to apply the iron nitrate? I used the maroon general purpose 7447 hand pad.

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like the first coat I did on mine. I did another two applications and heat cycles and my Woodsrunner came out a bit too dark. Try the alcohol tip and if you want darker do another application.

Hello all, I'm working on my first Woodsrunner kit and kit build in general. I'm at the iron nitrate stage, but after heating with the heat gun I did not get that brilliant rust orange color that Jim got in his video. I got hints of that rust orange color, but mostly it’s a sandy grey brown color.

I couldn’t get it to change any more than that no matter how long I applied heat to any area of the wood. Having never done this before I'm just not sure what to expect. Its definitely not the green color it was prior to heating. I'm attaching some photos the last three are under a different light source (I'll have to check in the sunlight tomorrow). The butt of the stock and the patch box lid produced the most "color" but even within that you can see that sandy grey brown. There is very little of that rust color forward of the butt area of the stock.

Potentially a dumb questions:
Is this the correct result? If not is there a way to rectify it?
Do some stocks just not produce that rust orange color?
I wiped off the excess and let it dry an hour before heating. Maybe I didn't let it dry long enough?
Maybe I used the wrong type of scotch brite pad to apply the iron nitrate? I used the maroon general purpose 7447 hand pad.

View attachment 306007
View attachment 306008

View attachment 306010
View attachment 306011
View attachment 306012
That's exactly how it's supposed to look. Give it another coat of the nitric acid, blush with heat and apply finnish. It's going to look great!!
Kevin

Thank you all for the input!
I didn't have a chance to work on it tonight, but in the morning I'll take it out in the daylight and put a bit of alcohol on a section to see where it is. If it looks nice as is I may leave it at the one coat. I don't want to go too dark, a nice brown would be fine. I'll post more pics as I get it finished up.

Last edited:
Looking good! What will you use for the final coat?
Going to use the Laurel Mountain Forge Permalyn Sealer. Pretty much have just followed Jim's videos and its gotten me this far, so I figure I'll finish it using the same.

A few more tasks on the checklist to go and it'll be ready for the range. Need to take care of the butt plate, the lock, and do a final sanding on the ramrod before finishing it. I will use Jax black for lock and barrel. I also have to fill a small gap alongside the ramrod entry pipe, sanded just a hair too much. Have debated doing that before or after the first coat of finish. Think I will do it after as I'm going to use the recommended CA glue to take care of that and I think that will pretty much make that entry pipe permanent, which is fine. Figure I won't need to take it out again and can do any minor clean up if needed before the follow up finish coats. If that's a terrible idea let me know, but I think I can make it work.

"... let me know,..." - Hell, I'm a rookie at this stuff, just asking to learn. Looks like you're doing awesome work!

Latest posts

Back