• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC or HC Pocket Knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually not assuming the people doing this are village idiots if that's what you mean.
Not what I meant. To the contrary. There is more than merely some evidence that a number of contributors to these threads may not have much of a grip on the difference between intentionally speaking some kind of vernacular and simply habitually misspelling and misusing words at the level (I'll pick the one you have) of a third grade education (though I think that can be seen as insulting to my grandson).

Your complaint seems to be that people are (a) faking a degree of illiteracy, and (b) just not being very good at (faking) it. I'm not entirely sure whether you're more concerned that they're faking it, or more concerned that they're just faking it so poorly. I'm just pointing out that perhaps your degree of upset might be tempered to some degree by considering that at least some of what you're seeing isn't fake illiteracy at all. Aside from that, I am inclined to empathize with your view.

There has been some discussion about the correctness of the Neumann collection- thing is- I think a lot of them are at Valley Forge. I did quite a bit of research on this a few years ago and what I found was virtually no real verification/documentation. By that, if you ask "where was it found?" no answer. Why do you date it as 1700's? Again, no answer. "It looks old" seems to be a common response. One "knife expert" claimed a lot of folding knives from the 1700's were farmer's pruning knives dating to around 1920.
There was a friction folder taken from a British soldier at the Battle of Bunker's Hill This particular knife was actually sort of square in cross section and had bolsters- at first glance you didn't realize it had no spring. It is currently in a museum in Lexington, MA It has sound documentation. The French fur trade friction folders are established but the problem is they may only be appropriate for someone with a French persona.
The locking types, again, these were mostly Spanish and the French might had copied them. The flat springs on top- I didn't know what to call them. One person I contacted called them "dorsal" springs (like those show in the above photos) and unless someone has a better name, I think that is a good thing to call them. Some dorsal springs were slip joint and some had a locking feature. On the friction folders- if they have a small tab for the thumb- I have found they are better than a slip joint- the thumb is better at preventing them from accidently closing.
Next are the penny knives. These had an iron wrapper around the front- I think they were more of an English design and might be better than the French friction folder for a lot of personas. I made mine with a collar of electrical conduit however Neumann has a couple in his collection and if you look closely, it seems the metal was very thin and wrapped around (collar style) the front of the knife and then the tab ends were tucked into the blade slot. In any event I think a friction folder is probably the way to go. I make cloth pouches so the blade doesn't come open in my hunting pouch.
Friction folders suffer the same situation as moccasins. These friction folders were cheap knives. Well the trouble is, if any one makes a replica - that takes time and justifiably they want a decent price. The buyer however wants a longer lasting knife if they are going to pay a fair amount- so you end up with a "new improved" friction folder but whether it is 100% PC is unclear.
I think it is a lot of fun making these knives- why not try making one for yourself?

Shoot, my misspellings and poor grammar are usually due to fumble fingers, being in a hurry, spell check not liking words such as frizzen, and thinking faster than I type.

Everybody does that to some degree. It's one reason I don't use my phone for posting to forums -- and even then I'll make mistakes now and then. One of my recent old-age habits is using "it's" instead of "its". I know how to use it, but still do it wrong when I'm not paying attention. :rolleyes:

Kansas Jake said:
Oh well, Iza be gittin it right one a these here days.
But this isn't that -- and I think is the sort of thing that Brokennock was talking about -- as I'm sure you realize. And this also isn't an example of the constantly and repeatedly dreadful spelling, grammar, and word use that I was describing. It's just silly, and you have the right to be silly. It's in the Constitution -- at least I'm pretty sure I read that in some postings in the Non-Muzzleloading Discussions.

Also, just as a style suggestion to you ... You need to stop using commas so correctly. Mixing that with the faux backwoods vernacular is a violation of best practice.

I'm actually not assuming the people doing this are village idiots if that's what you mean.
Worse than that, I suspect it's people who are not morons trying to write like they are speaking some kind of vernacular they think some old country bumkin with a third grade education would speak in. It's not just annoying, it's insulting,,,, but mostly it's ridiculous and annoying.
Some times I wish I could drag the auto correct feature out of the machine and burn it at the stake.

Some times I wish I could drag the auto correct feature out of the machine and burn it at the stake.
Well you almost always can, can't you? Just turn it off. I never use it. I'll own up to and suffer for my own mistakes -- but not for those of any editor, human or otherwise.

... the nuns managed to teach me.
My wife went through Catholic girls' schools from Kindergarten through high school. She has indicated that the teaching technique at that time involved a certain amount of "apply ruler briskly to knuckles of student". I'm afraid it didn't seem to help her math skills or broad knowledge of history, but she has always been a good writer and communicator (including in a professional capacity for many years). :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back