• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC or HC Pocket Knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's an interesting article on folding knives used at the time of the American Revolution. The influence of the Navaja in some examples seems obvious, though the specific knives may have come from France:

Knives of the American Revolution

Then there are these available at Crazy Crow.
Those crazy crow knives are cool and good value but I think the OP was looking for HC pocket knives and with the nail nicks those knives would only be correct starting around the American civil war era

You can get Opinels that do not have locking rings

Yes the smallest few sizes lack them. The largest is the No. 5:

54192A50-75CF-4517-B76F-17A77432713C.jpeg

A little on the small size for a patch knife in my opinion but could do well.

Things that seem simple & obvious today had to be created out of thin air by someone without the millions of TV, movie, internet, and photographic images that we have been exposed to. People rode horses for hundreds of years before someone invented the stirrup. Think how long it took for the nail nick to be created.
the NAIL NICK was invented when guys got out of combat back in the REVOLIYION, got home and stopped chewing there finger nails.! so the they could open them.

Period correct ,er knott!
Itz VERY COOL!!!!!
THATS circa "73"
I was witness! Thatz period correct!
Ya save the mails,its funny
Remember humor?

What is it lately with the trend of writing in a vernacular like one is writing a script for the village idiot? Even if one actually speaks that way, I seriously doubt they honestly write that way normally. 1st, they weren't taught that way, and 2nd, even if they are barely literate they would most often spell things phonetically,,, not add letters.
Another one for the lead box.

I would give this a "like," but I'm pretty sure you're making an assumption here that may not -- at least in a number of cases -- be true. :)
I'm actually not assuming the people doing this are village idiots if that's what you mean.
Worse than that, I suspect it's people who are not morons trying to write like they are speaking some kind of vernacular they think some old country bumkin with a third grade education would speak in. It's not just annoying, it's insulting,,,, but mostly it's ridiculous and annoying.

Back