• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Stuck in Breech Plug on CVA Percussion Barrel, Ideas?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCrows

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I just bought a CVA percussion barrel at a show and everything looked fine hen I dropped a bore light down it but when I got home and wanted to run a patch through it, I felt something at the bottom of the bore in that small channel that runs through the breech plug. I kind of figured it was a patch that was stuck in that reduced sized hole. a screw type ball removal tool couldn't get a good hold on it and the wire type patch puller can't get into that small diameter hole. It is packed in there pretty tight as I cannot blow any air through the nipple . I was thinking maybe a small wire type patch remover might be able to get hold of it, maybe something like a .32 caliber. Maybe a co 2 ball discharger might do the trick. I do know know not to remove the bolster and breech plug on the cva barrels. Any advice from members on just might get the patch out?
Thanks,
ThreeCrows

I have used a lenght of piano wire with a hook at the end for that. Stick it down an rotate it. The hook should point in the direction you want to turn it so it will catch the fibres.. Did you try firing a cap or two with a tiny bit of powder? That might get it smouldering, so it burns out.

Got that clean out screw on the side of the drum. Remove and pull out the patch with a small hook you make out of a bent paperclip.

Or you can push the patch further towards the barrel and grab with a ball or patch puller.

Last edited:
Run a 3/16 wooden dowel down the bore with a dot of gorilla glue or 5 minute epoxy on the tip. Just enough that when you run it into the hole it contacts with the patch. Let it cure for a little while then pull it out. Should bring the patch with it.

Do not try and remove the breech plug! The drum goes through the breech plug. Just do as others have suggested "fish "for it with varius wires or brushes, or try to blow it out.

Remove the nipple and give it a good shot of compressed air through the hole in the bolster/drum as others have suggested. If it’s only patch plugging things up, the air will remove it out with authority. Now if you want to stretch things out, get a drill stuck in the patch and you may see another 200 plus posts on how to get that combo out….. suggest just going with the compressed air.

Comedians all................Someone has to have an air compressor near you. Every tire shop , auto repair shop , etc on earth has one. Go down the street and while the proprietor is still trying to figure if you are a terrorist , put the air hose in the nipple hole and remove the patch. Then once the clog is removed , get the right jag for the cleaning job so it doesn't happen again. They make one such patch remover that has two wires on the end. That one grabs anything down in the hole and pulls it out.

The op stated "I cannot blow any air through the nipple". If he did not remove the nipple, maybe it is just a clogged nipple. It is very hard to get any good flow of air through a nipple to blow something out, just a thought.

Walmart sells small air compressors for around $50. I have one that I use just for filling car tires. Buy one, unstick the barrel then keep the compressor for tires and other household jobs. Or, buy it, remove the stuck patch, then return the compressor and say somethings wrong with it and get your $ back if you have no more use for it.

Latest posts

Back