• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Stuck in Breech Plug on CVA Percussion Barrel, Ideas?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a cva someone iv got today .It had a shot gun plastic jag down it i soak it with wd40 then with a ball puller and rod it moved 4 inch put more oil in pulled it out after 3 trys

Just to add to the length of this thread how about the time we were asked to clear an original 1861 Springfield Rifled Musket? The thing looked great but only half a rod length would go down. Soaked with oil from both ends (nipple pulled) we started worming out the mess. first cloth then odd wood bits and "red stuff". Dawned on us it was full of "strike anywhere" old fashioned match heads! After a handful we decided to pull plug. All matchheads!!! Just for fun we put them on a piece of paper and lit it. Whoosh!!!

I guessin' 6! What does the winner get??
POPCORN!
popcorn impala.gif

A worm or corkscrew type end should get it out, but it needs to be a small caliber. I have actually always been able to retrieve a patch with a homemade corkscrew-end of a coat hanger. But that may not be sturdy enough for this job. I'm really just trying to get the page count up :cool:

Come on guys, we’ll never hit my 7 pages at this rate…
I did have a phantom patch issue in a patent breech once, I spent 15 minutes trying to clear it… managed to bust my patch corkscrew but the piece fell out. Turns out there was nothing in there (doh!)
Now the spiderweb has potential for a whole new rabbit hole!

Last edited:
I always use pipe cleaners for the fire channel in my rifles.
I cleaned up one rifle and put it away. A few weeks or more later, I took that gun out to go to the range. I always take a small flashlight and look down the barrel before I go out, just to see if any rust or anything. Well, I noticed what kinda looked like a bit of orange plastic or something down the barrel. It was driving me crazy thinking about it. I finally realized it was just a bit of orange fuzz from the pipe cleaner. Kinda of a blonde moment. I guess I get that from my wife.

Hmmm…Last year while at the NC Territorial, my Hatfield patent breech plugged up. Ran my 22 caliber brush down to clean it and the screw end of the brush broke off, leaving the wire end stuck in the breech. Removed nipple, poured in some 4F power, reassembled and shot the brush out. Might want to sacrifice a cheap brush to clear your patent breech. They are a pain in the arse.

Back