• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

breech plug question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering on you're comment.
Ok, the only reason I was dogging @deerstalkert was that he's been vague with his information shared in this section of the forum about the task of breeching an ML firearm.
He's obviously a machinist with the tools and capability or close friends to someone that is. And is comfortable with those kinds of tooling jobs.
He didn't just drill the back of the barrel with a 37/64 bit and tap it to 5/8x18, He reamed the barrel end to create a shoulder, then installed a drum just in front of the plug as should be,
What he's not sharing is that the drum had to be in a specific place on the barrel to meet the lock's position in the exsiting stock and for the hammer fall to correctly strike the nipple.
That required specific measurement for the depth of the shoulder and milling of the replacement plug end to match position of the hook/button to fit the tang and milled shoulder when installed to torque.
He's not aware that you originally wanted to hack saw off the drum of your current barrel and install a vent to what was left for your first conversion project.
(in another thread started by yourself)
If you get a plug with a tang (good idea) then the plug needs to fit depth of shoulder AND match the flats at torque install.
This kind of task is possible, but it's not a "big vice and hand drill" kind of thing if your interested in doing it properly.
Yes, you and bubba can make a pistol from random parts and use it your entire life, but then one of your grand-kids will get a hold of it and wanna try a max load just too "see what grandpas gun could really do",,

Just buy a kit,, and use what ya have for a neat table lamp. (that Grandpa built)

I have the tools and technology to do this. If you read the first post I was asking,
"Would anyone know what type of threaded breech plug would fit in a .50 cal CVA barrel?"
I figured it would be an easier way to ask if anyone that did it would reply with advice on how they did it and what they used. I can cut the whole end off the barrel piece with the original button breech plug and start from scratch with both barrels if I want to, that way I can align my tang, touch hole and lock.
The reference to the hacksaw drum episode is from information again gleaned off of this forum and I was throwing that out there to see it there was any credence to it.
I am making two flintlock pistols, whether they be Kentucky style or Hawken style or my style and yes from random purchased parts from different retailers/individuals. Isn't that what most builders do? parts from Track, parts from Pecatonica, parts from Log Cabin Shop, or make my own etc.
Thank you for your advice and concern but it seems like you are talking down to me and I have noticed the same in posts to different people on this forum. I know my limits and my capabilities when it comes to dealing with safety in this project as well as what I do for a living and the public safety and security that is included my professions past and present.
I was just asking for information and or advice, yours is noted as well as anyone else's that responds to this post and all advice/concern is much appreciated.
I just don't like to hear "go buy a kit".

I have the tools and technology to do this. If you read the first post I was asking,
"Would anyone know what type of threaded breech plug would fit in a .50 cal CVA barrel?"
I figured it would be an easier way to ask if anyone that did it would reply with advice on how they did it and what they used. I can cut the whole end off the barrel piece with the original button breech plug and start from scratch with both barrels if I want to, that way I can align my tang, touch hole and lock.
The reference to the hacksaw drum episode is from information again gleaned off of this forum and I was throwing that out there to see it there was any credence to it.
I am making two flintlock pistols, whether they be Kentucky style or Hawken style or my style and yes from random purchased parts from different retailers/individuals. Isn't that what most builders do? parts from Track, parts from Pecatonica, parts from Log Cabin Shop, or make my own etc.
Thank you for your advice and concern but it seems like you are talking down to me and I have noticed the same in posts to different people on this forum. I know my limits and my capabilities when it comes to dealing with safety in this project as well as what I do for a living and the public safety and security that is included my professions past and present.
I was just asking for information and or advice, yours is noted as well as anyone else's that responds to this post and all advice/concern is much appreciated.
I just don't like to hear "go buy a kit".
and i was thinking maybe i was the only one noticing the narcissism and condescending attitude. i for one dislike being "dogged".
just for general information I am nothing more than a hobbyist that enjoys working on our chosen weapons at this late state of my life. if i want to use pvc pipe for a barrel and zebra wood for a stock, who can tell me it's wrong. I have been many things in this long life, but have always tried to be humble about my endeavors. and i absolutely subscribe to the idea that there are untold ways to do something/anything.
maybe due to failing health I am a bit crotchety, but i think i need to go Brittsmoothy again for a while.
take care one and all. see you around.
maybe i just need laid!

and i was thinking maybe i was the only one noticing the narcissism and condescending attitude. i for one dislike being "dogged".
just for general information I am nothing more than a hobbyist that enjoys working on our chosen weapons at this late state of my life. if i want to use pvc pipe for a barrel and zebra wood for a stock, who can tell me it's wrong. I have been many things in this long life, but have always tried to be humble about my endeavors. and i absolutely subscribe to the idea that there are untold ways to do something/anything.
maybe due to failing health I am a bit crotchety, but i think i need to go Brittsmoothy again for a while.
take care one and all. see you around.
maybe i just need laid!
Thanks, I thought that maybe it was just me.

Thanks guys.
For the rest of the world too see,, this is not the thread for finding information about a proper way to breech a barrel.
It's good for drama if you like that stuff,, :dunno:

Latest posts

Back